Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow dog parents!
I just recently adopted a puppy from my boyfriend's family and I'm not quite sure what is her breed. My bf's mom says that the puppy's parents are both registered as "poodles" with papers but I know what a pure bred poodle looks like since I have one. They look nothing alike! The puppies are just 3 months old. They have a big sister and a big brother who are about 6 months old.

Here are some photos:
1st photo: puppy I adopted (3 months)
2nd photo: parents of the puppy (siblings) They are around 8 years old. Owners said the female dog accidentally got out and was impregnated by the male twice. I know it's bad to inbred dogs and I think the owners are not properly educated and informed about inbreeding ?
3rd photo: Big siblings of puppy (6 months)
4th photo: Siblings of the puppy (born same batch as her)
(puppy on the right is their sibling, the only one who looks different! He has no long hair on the snout and no long hair on the feet)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Why are you 'desperate'? You have the dog, there is no emergency.
I don't know how accurate they are but there are DNA tests you can get. If you are desperate, pay for two or three and see whether they all come back the same, if they do, you might have a valid answer.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Here are some photos:
1st photo: puppy I adopted (3 months)
2nd photo: parents of the puppy (siblings) They are around 8 years old. Owners said the female dog accidentally got out and was impregnated by the male twice. I know it's bad to inbred dogs and I think the owners are not properly educated and informed about inbreeding ?
3rd photo: Big siblings of puppy (6 months)
4th photo: Siblings of the puppy (born same batch as her)
(puppy on the right is their sibling, the only one who looks different! He has no long hair on the snout and no long hair on the feet)
My first instinct would be to say that your puppy looks like a Wheaten Terrier and that might be the father while the mother is a Poodle. However, if they don't know the father it's possible he might just be a mixed breed of some sort. It also depends on what breeds are common by you.

Er, on the topic of inbreeding I think you're a bit confused on what inbreeding is. Inbreeding is when a dog mates and has puppies with another dog who is a parent or sibling. Clearly these dogs are mixed so there's no inbreeding going on. However if you're saying that there are 3 months old puppies with six month old puppies from the same mother and father that IS bad and dangerous to the mother's health, but that would be considered "overbreeding" not inbreeding.

As for the last puppy who looks very unlike its siblings, there is something that can happen with dogs called "two daddy litters". This is when a female dog in season will mate with two (or sometimes three!) different male dogs in quick succession. This results in some of the female's eggs being fertilized by the sperm of one male and others fertilized by the sperm of the other. The result is often puppies in the same litter with drastically different appearances (assuming the two males were of different breeds), because while they are littermates they are only half-siblings genetically. I think it's safe to say that's why that puppy looks so different.

It is hard to eyeball judge a puppy's breed, especially since their looks are immature. If you do feel so desperate to find out his breed I would suggest a DNA test. And I hope you can convince your boyfriend's parents to get their dog spayed!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
traciek88- The second picture is of the parents and the op mentioned that they are siblings. I agree though that the last puppy (at least I think I'm refereeing to same one as you) looks relatively different then the others, it almost looks a bit like a golden retriever puppy. Though if the parents are mixed that could account for they variety of looks between the puppies.

I agree though, deffinitly not purebred poodles. As Traciek88 mentioned the puppies do look like they could have some wheaten terrier to them. But again deffinintly not purebred and neither are the parents. I was thinking maybe there doodles of some kind. They parents also kind of remind me of Tibetan terriers and or havanese, but if I remember correctly there not supper common (Tibetan terriers), but they might be were your located. Do you know were they parents are from? How big are the parents? and I don't know if I missed it, are both litters from the same parents?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
traciek88- The second picture is of the parents and the op mentioned that they are siblings.
My mistake, I misread that. If that is the case then yes the puppies are over inbred AND from an overbred mother who really should not be having puppies at her age anymore either. Those parents are most definitely NOT purebred poodles. To be honest they might not have any poodle in them at all. I thought those two dogs were just other siblings of this puppy. So...these dogs are all just mutts, probably multi-generational mutts. And I'm pretty sure Mama dog got out again and had a tryst with another male to create that puppy that looks a lot different.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Ugh, the puppies are INbred* I hate how you can't edit posts 10 minutes after they go up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why are you 'desperate'? You have the dog, there is no emergency.
I don't know how accurate they are but there are DNA tests you can get. If you are desperate, pay for two or three and see whether they all come back the same, if they do, you might have a valid answer.

I'm sorry, it was just a figure of speech but I'm quite intrigued since the owner said they have papers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you know were they parents are from? How big are the parents? and I don't know if I missed it, are both litters from the same parents?
The parents are about the size of a miniature poodle. Also, they have wavy hair. Yes, both litters are from the same parents. We're from the Philippines. I have made a quick research and found out that Wheaten Terriers are very rare here. My family have had a lot of different purebred dogs, my dad and I have studies different breeds but it's the first time that I've heard/read Wheaten Terrier. I've also taken the puppy to 2 different vets, and I also asked them if they have any idea what her breed is. The 1st vet said "Maybe a mix of Schnauzer and Shih tzu", while the second vet said "A Lhasa Apso mix" :ponder:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My mistake, I misread that. If that is the case then yes the puppies are over inbred AND from an overbred mother who really should not be having puppies at her age anymore either. Those parents are most definitely NOT purebred poodles. To be honest they might not have any poodle in them at all. I thought those two dogs were just other siblings of this puppy. So...these dogs are all just mutts, probably multi-generational mutts. And I'm pretty sure Mama dog got out again and had a tryst with another male to create that puppy that looks a lot different.
Do you think there is another way how the puppy that looks different was created? I've asked the owners if mama dog got out of their property, as in out of the gate. They said no because she stays inside the house and the daddy dog stays in their kitchen which has a door to separate it from the living area. So they're pretty secured. But I still kinda believes that his dad is not the same as his siblings :dog-crazy:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have seen a lot of wheaten terriers and I definitely see wheaten in that puppy. Maybe a pure wheaten, maybe a whoodle or some other doodle.
I guess, (just a guess!!), that the owners got the dogs from someone who's not sure about the dogs' breed since Wheaten Terriers are rare from where I come from. Hence, they just assumed the dogs are poodles :lolsign:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
What breeds are pretty common in your area?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Common breeds in my area that I think can be related to my dog are Shih Tzu, Toy Poodle, Golden Retriever, Pomeranian. I've seen some Schnauzers and Lhasa Apsos too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I've been looking up Schnauzer mixes, Lhasa Apso mixes, as well as Shih Tzu mixes for weeks now. I've also researched about their skull forms, temperaments, coats, etc. Once I read your replies about Wheaten Terriers, I can say that the puppy I got may look like some of the mixes but not as much as the Wheaten Terrier. I also observed that the puppy, compared to my other dogs, is more vocal especially for her age. Lastly, I've noticed that her tail is long and is curled up, much like a Pomeranian.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts