Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Mazzik now for 6 years and I always get asked what breed he is. I rescued him from a shelter when he was 2 years old (about) and at the shelter they said he was a spaniel/terrier.

For a fun gift my mother bought a DNA test, one where you swab the cheek and gums. I don't think they're very accurate because it came back as mostly shih-tzu, afghan hound, pekingese, and bernese mountain dog. LOL!

I'm always trying to guess what he is mixed with... sometimes I see sheltie, sometimes australian shepherd. And I think the original spaniel/terrier seems to fit too. He is 24 pounds, so small to medium size and boy can he run! So he has some athletic ability too.

What are some of your guesses?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see the afghan hound (owned one in my twenties), Bernese too.
You know, I really didn't think afghan hound because of the size difference... but I just Googled them and afghan hound mixes and I'm really surprised. I see a lot of their features in Maz. Especially with how slender and tall he is. Huh. The only bernese I see possibly is the coloring on his face a bit.

Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
I think the Bernese is in the shape of his muzzle/head, chest and his fur coloring for sure. Here is a black afghan/bernese mix pic. Oh, and I live just south of you, about 45 minutes, lol. HEY MILWAUKEE! Love your summerfests! I dog sit if you ever need me..great fenced in back yard, lol.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the Bernese is in the shape of his muzzle/head, chest and his fur coloring for sure. Here is a black afghan/bernese mix pic. Oh, and I live just south of you, about 45 minutes, lol. HEY MILWAUKEE! Love your summerfests! I dog sit if you ever need me..great fenced in back yard, lol.

Wow, great finds with the comparison images. I feel stupid not looking into the DNA test results more. :eek:
And yes! Summerfest is great! There are some really great headliners and bands for this year. :D And thank you for the dog-sitting offer!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Wow Mazzik is gorgeous! (Sorry, I'm no good at breed guesses.)

Reactions: ShukiAi

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Don't see Berner at all - the berner head shape pointed out is similar to other breeds as well (and honestly, all three pics here seem different enough to me). Plus, the 24 lbs is way too light for berner to be in there in any significant quantity.

Afghan hound/mini aussie mix maybe?

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
hmmm...that might be a good possibility but the DNA said bernese...interesting mix!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The DNA tests are percent confidences - so they are 25% confident that there is Berner in there. Which is... not very confident.

ETA:
We don't have the information as far as the Border Collie's in your area producing results with the Chihuahua, but we do know how diverse the Chihuahua's are and our algorithm was picking up a confidence level of 25% for the past three generations with Bernoulli's DNA.
Direct from their customer service and the reason why they said Bern's grandparent was a Chihuahua.
Other known border collies around here were coming back as Chihuahuas as well which is why I asked if there could be a local border collie strain they were mixing up with chis.

·
Banned
7,537 Posts
I could see Afgan crossed with Shih-tzu/peek honestly.

Bernerese, not so much, but genes can do screwy things when you start mixing them....

Lovely dog though!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Is he blue pigmented? It's hard to tell. All the breeds coming to mind don't come in blue.

I bet he has a lot of breeds in him. He is gorgeous though! Very close to my ideal size and build.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the wonderful comments and breed guesses!

See!? - he's a total mystery! Haha! It's fun guessing. I'm seeing more afghan in him now that I've been looking up pictures. And maybe it's possible to have the shih-tzu and pekingese as well with his smaller size.

Whatever he is, I love him to pieces! :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is he blue pigmented? It's hard to tell. All the breeds coming to mind don't come in blue.

I bet he has a lot of breeds in him. He is gorgeous though! Very close to my ideal size and build.
No, he's not blue pigmented. He's definitely got a black nose.
And thank you very much for the compliment! He's such a good boy. ^_^

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.