Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New to the forums here. I was hoping some of you could help identifying the breeds of my pup Sydney. She was found and there's no idea who the mother or father are. She's 4-5 months old in the pictures here. Two features to note, she has webbed feet and she's deaf (mostly white coat). Right now at about 5 1/2 months old she's 40lbs and stands about 21" tall at the front shoulders.

Thanks

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm not good at guessing breeds, so I'm no help there...

But she's absolutely gorgeous! And welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Most definitely has some Cattle Dog/Red Heeler. She has the look and that is a breed that also carries deafness. She was definitely crossed with something larger, maybe a Lab. We might see more features of the other dog as she ages.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Where are you located? I'm wondering if she may be part American English Coonhound. They're more popular in the southern US, so a mix of that breed is a good possibilty if that's where you are.

american english coonhounds pictures

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But she's absolutely gorgeous! And welcome to the forum! :)
Thanks for the compliment to Sydney, and the welcome

Most definitely has some Cattle Dog/Red Heeler. She has the look and that is a breed that also carries deafness. She was definitely crossed with something larger, maybe a Lab. We might see more features of the other dog as she ages.
Thanks for your feedback.

They listed her as a Queensland Heeler aka ACD at the rescue, and that might be what her predominate breed is. It's just that her ears being floppy, narrower face, and her webbed feet that are throwing me off. Also her coat is much smoother than an ACD and her tail is different at well. But that could be because of the other breed(s) that is/are mixed in there.

Where are you located? I'm wondering if she may be part American English Coonhound. They're more popular in the southern US, so a mix of that breed is a good possibilty if that's where you are.
Thanks for your feedback.

I'm in Southern California. I looked up pictures of that breed and my pup has a similar stance to American English Coonhound, especially the way she holds her tail. I'll have to do some more research into that breed to see if there are any unique features that they share.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
American English Coonhounds aren't very common, and even less common outside of the southern states so if she has hound dog it's probably not that one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
DNA Test

Well, I ended up getting a DNA test done on Sydney (used the DNA test that uses a blood sample). These are the results:

One of the parents was a mix between an American Staffordshire Terrier and an Aussie Shepherd, the other parent was a mix of mostly Aussie Cattle Dog, German Shepherd and Chow Chow.

So she is about as much of a mutt as you can have. Thought those who responded would be interested.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
fascinating. goes to show that many breeds can hide under the obvious looking possibilities.

My girl is a perfect example of that... you might never guess that her dad was solid black and had upright ears. :)

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
It's crazy how the breed that's technically 1/8 of her DNA shows up the strongest in her appearance.

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can definitely see the cattle dog and amstaff!
The cattle dog seems to be the most prevalent breed in her looks. I think that the shape of her head was influenced by the Ausi Shepherd. Not sure how much amstaff I see in her though. What parts make you think of amstaff?

It's crazy how the breed that's technically 1/8 of her DNA shows up the strongest in her appearance.
I completely agree! They also note that both the german shepherd and the cattle dog have the least amount of confidence of all the other breeds detected.

fascinating. goes to show that many breeds can hide under the obvious looking possibilities.

My girl is a perfect example of that... you might never guess that her dad was solid black and had upright ears. :)
I was just wondering where she get the more slender body type and the floppy ears from since cattle dogs tend to have upright ears and are a bit stalkier.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quite honestly, take that test with an entire shaker of salt.

They aren't even remotely accurate when testing purebred dogs.

She looks really ACD with something else in there. I agree with possible hound.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quite honestly, take that test with an entire shaker of salt.

They aren't even remotely accurate when testing purebred dogs.

She looks really ACD with something else in there. I agree with possible hound.
I was also thinking of possible hound before I got the test done. That being said, I opt for the version that the vet does where they draw blood as opposed to the DIY saliva test. It's supposed to be more accurate.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I opt for the version that the vet does where they draw blood as opposed to the DIY saliva test. It's supposed to be more accurate.
They're all the same really... DNA in the saliva is no different from DNA in the blood. And it depends on how you classify "more accurate"... blood test done on a Golden I knew came back as a Chihuahua mix (other small breeds; terriers, etc.). It's really a pity considering how expensive these tests are. Eventually they'll figure out an actual accurate test which will actually be worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
None of them are really accurate, unfortunately.

They're all the same really... DNA in the saliva is no different from DNA in the blood. And it depends on how you classify "more accurate"... blood test done on a Golden I knew came back as a Chihuahua mix (other small breeds; terriers, etc.). It's really a pity considering how expensive these tests are. Eventually they'll figure out an actual accurate test which will actually be worth it.
I heard that the blood test were more accurate because dogs tend to lick things which then contaminate the sample. Whereas the blood is theoretically a clean sample.

That's a shame about the Golden test results.. humm.. guess I'll truly never know. Doesn't change the fact that I love this pup!! Just wanted to be able to answer the question I always get of what kind of dog she is. Plus it would be nice to know what breeds she is to better understand her behaviors and needs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I was just wondering where she get the more slender body type and the floppy ears from since cattle dogs tend to have upright ears and are a bit stalkier.
The slenderness of your puppy could be from age. I've known a lot of dogs that naturally bulk up between one and two years old. The long snout no longer looked long because the skull got wider, and the chest broadened out a lot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.