Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is a 2-3 year old rescue, the shelter's best guess was some sort of German Shepherd mix. After scouring relevant dog breeds/mixes Malinois/Pitbull is the conclusion I've come to. Here's a few thoughts:
1. The tips of her ears flopped over for the first few weeks I had her, this is a sign of injury/infection in malinois, I have read.
2. White splotch on chest, on several toes. Overall tan coloration, short but dense coat, tip of her tail is black. Growing a small patch of gray hairs on bottom of muzzle at a young age, a common belgian malinois characteristic.
3. Has the same black mask as a malinois, but doesn't extend anywhere near up to her eyes (I assume because of her mix). Head is a little squarish/block-like compared to purebred malinois, again due to theoretical pitbull mix.
4. Very friendly around me, but can become defensive in a heartbeat. Seeks to immediately place herself between me and dogs/people she perceives as threats.
5. Highly intelligent, easily trainable, pretty emotionally complex. Exhibits all the same behavior as malinois when biting training toys and hunting prey (drive, speed, agility).

Overall a fun-loving, energetic, fiercely loyal dog.

Any opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
i tihnk she could be mixes with something with a broader head.
coulod be some kind of bully breed(mix), but could also be "just" a labrador(mix).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My last dog was a lab mix (so I can see why you would say that, given how she looks in the pictures. I'll try to get a side-view pic of her standing so you can see her posture and actual body shape. When she sits/lies down she almost looks like a pitbull, but standing resembles the malinois. She looks like and moves with the prowess of a small coyote in my opinion). Respectfully, I have to disagree that she could be a lab mix, there are too many small defining features that just don't add up.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
still has a lot of a lab in the way it carrying itself.
the head is pretty broad some labs have such massive heads that the one of my Dogo Canario mix looks small next to them. ^^"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts