Dog Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Do MinPins do better in pairs? I know some breeds can have anxiety if left alone, but do fine with a friend. Maybe a second dog?

I just got a second dog and that was one of the reasons. When I leave my dog at my parents house she gets bad anxiety. At home while I am at work (if she's crated) she is totally fine, but away from home is a problem.

When I leave her at a friend's house with her dogs she is also fine. Hence the 2nd dog. We'll see how that works at Christmas.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Believe me, a debarked dog sounds worse than the actual bark.
Some of my old Musher friends would have some of theirs debarked because of neighbor problems, their sound was like fingernails on a chalk board to me.
They try to bark more, because I think they think it isn't their bark.
Please do not do it.

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
Min Pins tend to be very high energy, very smart, very drivey dogs...
The typical Min Pin is very much a handful for their owners even without behavior issues.
Unless the op knows for certain that a second dog is going to resolve the SA, then personally I wouldn't suggest it!
Better IMHO, to first work on and resolve the current dog's issues and then consider another dog only if he is interested in providing a home to a second.:)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Maybe temporarily foster another dog of similar size and complimentary temperament to see if that helps?

My neighbors have 2 Min-Pins and a Chi. They actually got the 2nd Min-Pin because their first was having issues being alone while they worked. So, since they like the breed and didn't mind the idea of having another, they got their 2nd. The first and the 2nd keep each other company and the behavior problems have stopped. Then they added the chi because, well, why not?

If you want a 2nd dog because you love dogs and think having a friend would help your current dog, go for it. But it might not help, so fostering is a good way to see if it would help, if you are capable of managing 2 dogs, and if things don't work out you can send the foster back tot he shelter or rescue with no harm done.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts