Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone :) I really need some advice, hoping someone can help! Shermans behaviour is generally quite good when he's with us and when he's on his own In our house he's perfect and just sleeps. However we're staying with family this week and we've tried leaving him downstairs in the kitchen at night with their dog, who he gets on well with and he just barked and cried for 2 hours until I had to eventually give in and fetch him because they live in a terraced house so i can't destroy their relationships with neighbours. His next issue is that if we leave him with family or friends he's basically a right pain in the bum for them. He won't listen to anything that they say and just wants to play with them. I don't know how we can train him not to do this when he's so good with us. Please help!! Xxx

·
Registered
254 Posts
You have to teach him that it's ok to obey others. You also have to have friends who are not afraid to tell the dog no and to be a leader. I have friends who love my dog, and I would trust with my life, but I probably would ever have as a dog-sitter because they don't like making rules and coo at bad behavior because it's cute. Basically, "not listening to anything they say" IS because they continue to play with your dog. Why should Sherman stop having fun when these people have proven that they won't bother making him listen?

I have a friend who is good at saying "no" and even though she spends less time around my dog handles her far better. Honestly, my dog probably listens to her better than my husband.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice :) we left him with one friend who clearly was too worried about saying no to him and he spent the whole 2 hours running round the house barking and trying to play, nightmare! Do you have any advice on how to teach him it's ok to obey others?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Usually, it's actually about training your friends! No seriously, your friends have to know the dog's command words. If my dog is being annoying I say "knock it off". No is what I use for more serious situations and Paw is what I use to get her foot, "shake" means shake off after a bath.

You can also use a "release" command to show that you are no longer in charge. This can be the word release. I use "go with" because the human also understands. So if I say, "Go with Cathy" my dog understands this means that the other human in the room is now in charge. I would encourage you to find a safe place, like a big room or a fenced in yard where you can leash the dog. Give a command, then use the release command. Your friend should take the leash from you and now you pretend the dog dosn't exist. I recommend reading a book or using an ipad. The friend should have the dog's complete attention and with treats should be taught that once that other person has their leash and you've released him, thats the end of your day as leader.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks that's great advice, unfortunately we live pretty far away from anyone we would trust so that makes it difficult but we will give it a go. Do you have any advice on how we deal with his barking when he's on his own away from home. I just left him downstairs for 10 minutes whilst I went to the loo and he barked the whole time and he will literally just not give in. It was 2 hours the other night. He sleeps alone in our house so I don't understand why he is like this away from home :(

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I think it also depends on the breed. some breeds are known for being "one-person-dogs".
Not every dog is great with family-outsiders, but most of them can be trained to except other places and people when you give it a few weeks or months and they learn to know the other person well. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I feel your pain. I was in a similar situation. But you can't train a dog to jump through a hula hoop without a hula hoop, can you? Unfortunately, you're going to have to find or pay someone to practice with so your dog learns.

As far as the barking...again...this is about training your friend. Your dog barks because he's learned that it gets him attention. People cause most of the bad behavior in dogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.