Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm currently working and living on a farm with a woman who owns 22 dogs (yes, you read that right). She has 4x 3 month old puppies (3 males and 1 female) who we are currently trying to housetrain, but it's proving difficult. 1 out of 4 seems to understand that when he's put outside at night time he has to do his business, but the other 3 do not, especially the 1 female. When put on the grass she just sits until I take her inside again, even if I wait for 20-30 minutes, and I'm worried that this is now a learned behaviour what because she does it every day. It's very frustrating. I've tried bringing them outside with the puppy who knows what to do and giving him lots of praise when he goes but she just tries to get praise too or continues to sit and doesn't seem to understand that potty = praise. I've tried praising the other dogs when they go pee outside to show them that they will also be praised for peeing outside too but it doesn't seem to work. They will just pee inside mostly, but It's hard to watch them and correct them when there's so many other dogs around (mostly much older dogs) who also have accidents inside, and the property is so big it's hard to pinpoint where they do pee. Im worried they're going to pick up bad habits from the older dogs, they pretty much run wild here and some of them too aren't fully housetrained.

Any tips? My job is to look after the dogs here so it's my responsibility to housetrain them, but as you can probably imagine, it's difficult to do that whilst having to keep an eye on the other 18 dogs!

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
@Katieh - welcome to DF!

The title of your post literally sounds like a nightmare haha

Yikes! I do not have experience in this but I'm sure someone with far more knowledge than me will chime in.

My opinion would be to start from scratch and treat them all as separate cases. The part that I'm struggling with is that I normally like to suggest tethering but you can't tether 4 puppies to you haha.

Here's a good video that may offer some helpful tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI

I feel like every method will have to be modified because they are typically created for ONE puppy.

I'm really interested to read other responses.

What does she do with 22 dogs? Do they all live in the house?

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's a tough call. I do think that's too many dogs for her to expect you to train. Help is needed. Your going about it the right way, just too many.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My job is to look after the dogs here so it's my responsibility to housetrain them, but as you can probably imagine, it's difficult to do that whilst having to keep an eye on the other 18 dogs!
If the lady is wealthy enough to have all those dogs and someone to take care of them, surely there must be other staff as well. Approach the lady and discuss how puppies and housebreaking are busy times, and ask if perhaps one or two of the other staff can help you at selected times during the day.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Do all of these dogs have free roam of the house 24/7? If the answer is yes then you're going to have a very difficult time housebreaking any of them. Ideally, if I were in your shoes(keep in mind I'm imagining a bunch of free roaming dogs and not a kennel situation) I would start by crate training everyone and do a thorough deep cleaning of the entire house to get rid of any smells that may encourage them to continue having accidents inside. From there I would start set up a schedule for them taking smaller groups out at a time for supervised bathroom breaks and playtime.

Out of curiosity I must ask, Why does she have 22 dogs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts