Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we got an older (7.5 months) puppy from Santa and I'm trying to housebreak her. I noticed that when she (finally) peed outside and I made a big deal and gave her treats, she came inside and pooped within 10 minutes. Am I not supposed to reward right away? I want her to know what I'm rewarding her for since she still doesn't get it. :ponder:

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
If you catch her in the pooping act, say no, and take her outside. She will suddenly get it. When we were training Samantha, we took her outside every 30 minutes during the day. When she would pee or poop she immediately got treats. Didn't take long for her to figure out that going outside and peeing or pooping was virtually a key to the pantry. In our case it kind of happened all of a sudden. One day she just got it, and she has been perfect since.

·
Registered
813 Posts
So we got an older (7.5 months) puppy from Santa and I'm trying to housebreak her. I noticed that when she (finally) peed outside and I made a big deal and gave her treats, she came inside and pooped within 10 minutes. Am I not supposed to reward right away? I want her to know what I'm rewarding her for since she still doesn't get it. :ponder:
So you've had your dog only a few days? What puzzles me that at 7.5 months she isn't house trained. Where is she from?

Anyway she obviously has no idea where to toilet so you need to teach her by rewarding when she does it in the right place, which you are doing already. But if she spent her babyhood peeing and pooping where she liked don't expect miracles. Just carry on giving treats for the right actions, ignore accidents. Don't get cross or frustrated. Clean up any soiled area with enzymatic cleaner so she is not attracted to those places by smell. Watch her and take her out immediately if she looks as if she is going to pee or poo - usually circling and sniffing the floor are signs to look out for. Hopefully she'll get the idea pretty soon

·
Registered
951 Posts
Get down to the basics. Get a crate sized right for your dog. If your dog is still growing get a bigger crate and put a divider in it (empty boxes work). Your dog will view the crate as his den, and instinct will make him not want to pee/poop in it.

Feed your dog 2-3 hours before bedtime. After feeding take your dog outside and wait for him to do his business. Praise when your dog pees, praise when he poops. Don't take him in until he does both.

Take him out first thing in the morning. Praise when he pees, praise when he poops.

Expect your dog to need to bathroom soon after eating, soon after drinking, and soon after having vigorous play. Anticipate, get your dog outside, and praise when he does it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She came from a pet store and I assume just never got adopted (or maybe got taken back...due to to how destructive she is). I have a crate, but I've haven't used it. I'm using my bathroom at night since it's a bigger space and she seems fairly content and won't go to the bathroom (so far) in there. I am leaving the crate door open and trying to lure her in there for a few minutes at a time. She's already like 50 pounds and I'd rather not shove her in there, or bring back memories of being caged for so long. This dog couldn't even do stairs. I feel like when I praise for the pee, I distract from the poop. I also feel if I'm outside too long it defeats the purpose of letting her know why she's out there. This is really hard. My last lab was calm and didn't chew up anything. She was smaller and the crate was started day 1.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Is she on leash when she goes out? Sometimes if they have free-range, they get so distracted by all the smells that they forget what they're supposed to be doing out there.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have to tell Trucker to "Go Potty" every morning now because somehow I accidentally made this the routine. He will go by himself every other time of day but right after waking up he needs me to walk him all the way to his favorite potty spot and tell him "Go Potty" or he is off to chase some squirrel or howling to go back in for breakfast.

The few accident Trucker had I would take the pee soaked paper towels and leave them in the yard with him while I clean up the rest of the mess (he is scared of the carpet cleaner so he had to be outside). I read this is not the same as making them smell it but rather just indicates that this is wear pee/poop goes without you having to say anything. It might have been the wrong thing but it only took a couple times before no more accidents.

I also bell trained him to go out. So when we would head outside I would ring the bell on the door before opening it. After about a couple of weeks of doing that (he had to realize it wasn't scary) he started ringing it on his own, it is saving my door and door frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts