Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10.5 week old Newfoundland puppy. I'm continuing to struggle to get her to settle and nap.

During the day, while I'm at work, she's confined to the kitchen with a baby gate. She has always preferred the cold tile in the kitchen for her naps. When I'm home, after play time, she is clearly exhausted but will not settle for a nap unless I take her into the kitchen and sit with her. If I sit in the living room, she will run back and forth between the living room and kitchen, crying, trying to settle down. This will go on for 30+ minutes, and sometimes she doesn't settle until I take her to the bedroom to sleep for the night.

Any advice? Ignore her and let her figure it out? Continue to settle her down by sitting in the kitchen?

Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's probably just a stage, and she's still getting used to her new home. Do you have a crate? If so, you can put her in that for a little, to calm her down. Best of luck!

GardenPaws

·
Registered
318 Posts
Can you get her a bed/place to settle in the living room with you? It sounds like she just wants to be with you when you're there. I don't think this would affect her crate training..

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a 10.5 week old Newfoundland puppy. I'm continuing to struggle to get her to settle and nap.

During the day, while I'm at work, she's confined to the kitchen with a baby gate. She has always preferred the cold tile in the kitchen for her naps. When I'm home, after play time, she is clearly exhausted but will not settle for a nap unless I take her into the kitchen and sit with her. If I sit in the living room, she will run back and forth between the living room and kitchen, crying, trying to settle down. This will go on for 30+ minutes, and sometimes she doesn't settle until I take her to the bedroom to sleep for the night.

Any advice? Ignore her and let her figure it out? Continue to settle her down by sitting in the kitchen?

Thanks!
Even if you don't want to completely confine her to a crate full time, this is a good indication for one when she simply won't settle down. It will force her to lay down and sleep, and with a cranky puppy, you would be shocked how fast they fall asleep even if they cry when you put them in there (i.e. mommy i don't want to take a nap)

I don't think letting her get used to settling in your lap is a good idea-it's only going to make that the ONLY way she can fall asleep and that's not a good idea. Then she also gets hyperattached and that's not good either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We tried a bed in the livingroom, but she will not settle on it. She'll try for a few seconds, then get up, cry, and run around. She usually just bites the bed,

We tried locking her in the kitchen when she's overtired. She cried, but fell asleep quickly. However, now she seems very reluctant to go into the kitchen, like she's afraid of being locked in. She'll sit just outside it and stare into the kitchen, when she used to run in happily.

Last night my husband tethered her to us, and forced her to sleep in the livingroom. She fought, screamed, bit, and cried for an hour before passing out. It was really awful. I don't know if that was a good approach.

I'm afraid to force her into her crate, as I'm afraid she will fear the crate as she now fears the kitchen.

So basically, we don't know what to do with her.

·
Registered
388 Posts
We tried a bed in the livingroom, but she will not settle on it. She'll try for a few seconds, then get up, cry, and run around. She usually just bites the bed,

We tried locking her in the kitchen when she's overtired. She cried, but fell asleep quickly. However, now she seems very reluctant to go into the kitchen, like she's afraid of being locked in. She'll sit just outside it and stare into the kitchen, when she used to run in happily.

Last night my husband tethered her to us, and forced her to sleep in the livingroom. She fought, screamed, bit, and cried for an hour before passing out. It was really awful. I don't know if that was a good approach.

I'm afraid to force her into her crate, as I'm afraid she will fear the crate as she now fears the kitchen.

So basically, we don't know what to do with her.
You're going to need to get a crate and PROPERLY crate train her. It's not an overnight thing. Read the sticky, but if she's really that reluctant to sleep it may be your only option. She's young and malleable, she will get used to it easily with proper training.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Lots of treats in the crate, outside and around the crate, etc. and she'll soon learn to love her crate! Maybe get her something like a toy or a stuffed kong that she only gets when she's crated.
For what it's worth, it might do you some good to work on crating and getting her to go in her crate willingly while she's still small and can be picked up and moved easily. Training this now, while she's young and in that critical stage for training, will pay off later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay okay okay, we're going to crate. Its been a very hard decision, but I see its going to be unavoidable. Can I ask your opinion on how long is too long? Our plan right now is to crate from 7-11 (4 hours), 1 hour potty and food break, then 12-4 (4 hours) in the crate again. Is this ok? The "internets" says the age in months + 1 hour. She's 3 months, + 1 hour is 4 hours. Real world speaking, is this an ok plan?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Okay okay okay, we're going to crate. Its been a very hard decision, but I see its going to be unavoidable. Can I ask your opinion on how long is too long? Our plan right now is to crate from 7-11 (4 hours), 1 hour potty and food break, then 12-4 (4 hours) in the crate again. Is this ok? The "internets" says the age in months + 1 hour. She's 3 months, + 1 hour is 4 hours. Real world speaking, is this an ok plan?
Totally fine. Just make sure she's not screaming when you start. It will be tough at first. Make sure her needs are met (ie she doesn't need to go potty, has eaten, and is tired) and put her in there with something yummy so she won't focus on the crate-but rather the bone or kong.

Read the crate sticky and feed her meals in there. It helps. But expect some barking, whining and crying at first. You can't let her out when you know she's ok or she will learn that crying gets her let out, and she will continue to cry more. Ignoring her is the best way to crate train, as hard as it is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I should probably add, she is crated at night too. So 8 total hours a day alone (with 1 hour break in the middle) and crated with us in our bedroom overnight. She has our full attention for an hour in the morning, hour in the afternoon, and 4 hours when we get home from work before bed.

She's comfortable with the crate in general, she's been sleeping in it every night since we got her and gets lots of treats when she goes in. Its just adjusting her from being in the kitchen (which she has started destroying!) to being in the crate while we're at work.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I should probably add, she is crated at night too. So 8 total hours a day alone (with 1 hour break in the middle) and crated with us in our bedroom overnight. She has our full attention for an hour in the morning, hour in the afternoon, and 4 hours when we get home from work before bed.

She's comfortable with the crate in general, she's been sleeping in it every night since we got her and gets lots of treats when she goes in. Its just adjusting her from being in the kitchen (which she has started destroying!) to being in the crate while we're at work.
If she has been conditioned to a crate already (ie for overnight) crate training for the day shouldn't take too long, you had us thinking she hadn't been crate trained AT ALL.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
So if I get this right she's over tired but won't settle in the living room? Can't you just give her a kong in the kitchen pen? My girl will settle wherever I am because, well I'm there. I would personally just ignore (yet watch what she's getting into, so no attention I guess) her till she drops (wherever that is), since she's probably just over tired or not really tired enough. I like to think of it as a toddler nap time melt down. They all go through it, but eventually settle down for a nap ;)

I definitely wouldn't let your pup settle in your lap, Newfies get big and get big fast. Unless your cool with a 100+ dog in your lap...your preference. My 80 lb lab mix hasn't figured she isn't a lap dog yet...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding... you said she's home alone in the kitchen while you're at work, then you come home and play with her. Maybe she naps while you're at work. I know that mastiff breeds shouldn't be over exercised, but maybe "play time" isn't enough to tire her out. Do you do anything mentally stimulating like training exercises with her?

·
Registered
727 Posts

So she only gets to interact with anyone for a total of 6 hours a day (not all at once). I think she's BORED....just my opinion. I don't think she's being stimulated enough during the day (IMO).

·
Registered
556 Posts
Get a crate,put a nice comfy bed in it and some of her toys.Maybe put it in the kitchen or living room and leave the door open to see if she'll go in.Put some of her cookies in too.Let her go into it and check it out.Hopefully she'll get to like it,it's her own space.Most dogs do get used to it and will go into it on their own just to relax or get away from things.I would do it soon since she's young and will adapt,the older she gets the harder it'll be.I have a puppy playpen type thing I put mine in when I'm not home or at nite.Hell go in on his own,doesn't cry,doesn't mind it.But he's been crated since day one.Also don't leave them in there longer than they have to be.Good luck.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
So she only gets to interact with anyone for a total of 6 hours a day (not all at once). I think she's BORED....just my opinion. I don't think she's being stimulated enough during the day (IMO).
That's what most dogs get as far as interaction with their humans. She may be bored but I don't think that has anything to do with the length of time she spends with her humans.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If she's bored, I'm honestly at a loss as to what to do for her. In the evening, when we get home from work she either goes to the park and walks around on leash while meeting people and dogs for about 30 minutes or gets a 30-40 minute playtime in the yard with us. Then about 20 minutes of training/hanging out time, then she eats, naps, and then her final walk and playtime (30-40 minutes) and then we want her to settle for the evening. She's only 12 weeks old, I can't image she needs more exercise or stimulation than that, unless I'm way off base.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
If she's bored, I'm honestly at a loss as to what to do for her. In the evening, when we get home from work she either goes to the park and walks around on leash while meeting people and dogs for about 30 minutes or gets a 30-40 minute playtime in the yard with us. Then about 20 minutes of training/hanging out time, then she eats, naps, and then her final walk and playtime (30-40 minutes) and then we want her to settle for the evening. She's only 12 weeks old, I can't image she needs more exercise or stimulation than that, unless I'm way off base.
That's plenty of activity for a pup her age. I didn't meant to say that I agreed with the person who said she was bored. I was trying to say that crating a dog for the length of time she's crated, shouldn't be a problem. Give it time. She's a pup and pups are challenging.

·
Registered
727 Posts
^ This seems adequate, however in your initial statement you didn't go into much detail or mention any training exercise, you only said "play time" which is why I suggested that she may have been bored.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts