Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there,
I assume that by now something's been done, but if not - wash the wound with water and common soap, dry it and bandage it with a wrap-around bandage (which can be bought at a chemist). I remember that my girl jumped a friend's fence and landed on glass, and that was basically what the vet did......If that doesn't work, then you might need to consider taking him/ her to the vet for stitching up. I seem to remember the vet explaining something to me about his reluctance to stitch the paw unless necessary. The bandage can be attached with a sturdy safety pin.....I hope that he/ she is OK! Off to the vet if that doesn't stop the bleeding! OK?
Cheers Jewels

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everythings good now!

I was freaking out and didnt know what to do! but i ended up calling the emergency Vet number and we had to take him in at 10:30 that night to get 3 stitches! Poor Puppy! I feel like a bad mom! This is what happened...our furnace broke on one of the coldest night of the winter i think there was like a -10 windchill! So my brother in law was working on the furnace and he had the cover off...well Dozer being the curious puppy that he is just had to see what was going on and in the process stepped on the metal cover and slice open his paw! It was such a great night! haha! but we go tomorrow to get the stitches out! Thanks for you help though! :dog-crazy:

-Dozer's Mom

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not just for dogs.

In an emergency type situation when you can not get to the Vet, or in the case of humans to the Dr.
Wash the area well, make sure there is no debris inside, wood chips, glass and so on, and then close the wound as well as you can with tape, like butterfly stitching. Then pour common baking flour on the wound.

Flour acts like a talcum, one of the benefits is that flour will cake up and dry quickly forming a glue like bond in the skin, the scab will wash out in time like any scab and unless you/or your pet have an allergy to flour, it is 100% safe in the wound cavity.

If you bandage the wound after, make sure it is secure but not tight enough to cut off circulation.

Having seen some one put a very nasty gash of their leg from a chainsaw, a lumberjack did this to a co worker, in the 45 minutes it took us to get him to the emergency, the scab had already formed, by the time the DR inspected the wound, he told us it would have been better had we came the same week it happened, then said for now, its already in the healing process…

When we told the Dr, the wound was not an hour old he laughed at us and said who are you trying to fool…

Same remedy is also good for when you hit the quick while cutting dogs nails. It is in most every home, cheap and easy to clean up after, just put it on liberally and watch it heal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts