Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a foster for 6 weeks. She is 8 months old. She came to me with a prolapsed vagina and rectal. She also suffered a nasty GI bug after the surgery, prolonging her time in the hospital on crate rest.

Now she is here and we have started crate training. She has two major issues, she uses the crate as a bathroom and eats her stool. Last night, I put in her crate at 9:30 by 1:00 am it was too late and again at 6AM.
She will sleep for hours on my sofa so I know she can hold it but as soon as she stands up she has the urge to go.

Any suggestions? Or is this a side effect and will she be this way forever?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just because she sometimes can hold it for hours doesn’t mean that she always will be able to. It depends on how much she’s been drinking/eating, what she’s doing etc. Create a schedule and take her out every other hour (even during the night), increase the time as you notice that she can hold it. If accidents happen, decrease the time between the potty breaks.

Is there a reason why she might have to go during the night? Is she fed late at the evening? Is she well exercised during the day? It could also be due to distress, maybe from being in the crate. Does she have to sleep in the crate, what happens if she doesn’t? You can still keep her on a limited area, just give her some more freedom and maybe keep her from feeling trapped and distressed (if that’s the case).

I don’t know if she might be having trouble with this due to her previous medical issues, have you asked the vet about this? How have you been potty training her up until this point?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts