Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just made this account here on these forums. I was hoping I could find some help here. I've been researching and researching for somewhere I can purchase a no more than 6 month old Miniature Schnauzer puppy within 100 miles of 45118 (southern Ohio) and I am having hardly any luck at all really. My price range is low, but I really want to make it work, as I really haven't the $400+ for just purchasing the dog alone, I was looking to spend $200-$350 on my new addition, but that seems to be quite a lot to ask. I was hoping for a purebred, or if it's a mix, I'd like the Schnauzer to be the only *visible* breed in the pet. It must be a puppy, as I want to name it and train and raise it myself. I know there are a few rescue places near, but the issue with that is that their animals are usually much older than 6 months, and as I said I want one around 6 months, not something like 5 years. Can anyone help me out? All help is greatly appreciated, I look forward to responses. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for that. Sam looks adorable on that page. Only hope is that there will be one available when I have the money.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
With your price range, you really should be looking at rescues and shelters. $250-300 from anyone else will be from a backyard breeder, who are huge contributors to the dogs in shelters, and buying from them will only prolong the problem of millions of dogs being put to sleep every year in the US. To stretch your money even further, from the former, your adoption fee will likely also cover vaccs, spay/neuter, microchip, and a vet exam.

Here's the 101 on the types of breeders: http://www.dogforum.com/general-dog-discussion/puppy-mills-pet-stores-back-yard-11761/

If you want more info on how to find a responsible breeder, just google "responsible breeder" and "ethical breeder." If you don't think it's that important to buy only from a responsible, ethical breeder (or rescue), I'd strongly suggest you go watch a euthanasia at your local shelter of a dog who couldn't find a home.... That should change a lot of people's outlooks on it.

If you absolutely can't find a young enough dog in rescue (although Kmes' link looks promising!), I'd recommend you get on a waiting list of a responsible breeder (start with some breeder referrals here: http://amsc.us/ ) and save up your money in the meantime. :)

Good luck!

ETA: petango.com and adoptapet.com are two more sites to look for schnauzer rescues. Different shelters use different directories, so check them all!

Reactions: Megs87

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might be able to stretch my available money a little. Do you guys think there might be a breeder willing to take $450 for a puppy?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Ditto adoption through a rescue or shelter. There are plenty of puppies available. We have always found the breed we wanted through them. Petfinder.com is a great site, along with the ones provided. Your rescue\shelter adoption fee would cover spay\neuter, vaccines, microchip, etc.

You will NOT find a responsible breeder selling a pup for $450 dollars.

Save your money and go to a rescue. Check the links that were provided as far as differences between responsible breeders vs puppy mills and backyard breeders, or even pet stores. Not advisable considering your budget is already low- last think you want to do is spend a ton of money on a puppy that's found to have serious health issues later on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Megs87

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright. I've decided to give up the low budget and looked a little harder and came up with a breeder in Newark, Ohio. I am hoping to get the money to reserve a puppy from this breeder. As far as anyone knows, does neutering/spaying dogs cause any behavioral changes or imbalances, as it comes with a Limited AKC Registration and requires spaying or neutering for ownership.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Alright. I've decided to give up the low budget and looked a little harder and came up with a breeder in Newark, Ohio. I am hoping to get the money to reserve a puppy from this breeder. As far as anyone knows, does neutering/spaying dogs cause any behavioral changes or imbalances, as it comes with a Limited AKC Registration and requires spaying or neutering for ownership.
I really hope you've done some research on this breeder. The cost of a puppy should absolutely NOT be the reason to go with a particular breeder. At all. Ever.

This is the American Miniature Schnauzer Club list of breeders (an AKC club):
LIST OF AMSC BREEDERS

If your breeder is listed there, that's one good sign that they may be a responsible breeder. It's also a good place to start looking.

What kind of homework did you do in choosing this breeder? What kind of conversations have you had with them? What kind of questions have you asked? What have they asked you? A good breeder should be available to answer any and all questions you have for the lifetime of your dog.

What does this breeder do with their dogs? What showing accomplishments are behind the sire and dam? Do they health test? What are the scores?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The price isn't even the main draw to this particular breeder. It is the quality of the information, the sincerity of the information and the information presented that drew me initially. It is a small breeder in Newark, that has been operating since 2006. They have 2 active sires, only one of which had any health issue, and it was a mild intolerance to grain, but none of the litters produced by him have ever had a instance of the same issue. They have a few dams, and currently one is growing up to replace it's mother I believe, none of them have health issues. Every puppy is checked by a mobile veterinarian at 6 weeks of age and given an exam and first set of vaccinations. Here are some of the things included when a owner purchases a puppy from this breeder:

Tails are docked and dew claws are removed, ears are left natural
They are each microchipped for identification and the event of losing the animal
They are de-wormed at 2,4,6 & 8 weeks of age per veterinarian recommendation
They are given a exam and check-up at 6 weeks of age
They will already have the first set of vaccination shots
A 7-day health guarantee
A 10-day happiness guarantee to ensure the puppy is right for the home
A free bag of food to make the transition easier
A toy they have already played with that has the scent of their home to relieve initial stress
A collar with a bell attached
AKC registration papers
Support (questions, concerns) from the breeder for the dog's entire life-span
Pre-groomed before leaving the home
Free grooming by the breeder for one full year from birthdate to 1st birthday

In general, it isn't exactly a AMSC "show" breeder or anything, but I like this kind of character in a breeder and the way they show they handle their animals looks to be very similar of the way I handle my own. I have a had a few conversations with the owner about pricing, location and reservation topics. The owner consistently responds very quickly and politely and answers every question I ask with as much detail necessary. I really like the way they treat their animals and the style with which they breed. Of course I will eventually make visits to the breeding home to observe the living conditions and how they are trained and so on, but I really feel like this breeder is best for me.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I would try to meet the adults. The ones I have met seem a little nervous and snappish. This is a common breed so sometimes that hurts the breed since more popular puppies = more bad breeders trying to make a buck. My sister has had 2 and 1 was great but one is a little nutters. She's possessive and a bundle of nerves. In her old age she is chilling out but I don't want to wait 7 years for my dog to settle down, ya know?

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I do like that she does limited registration, but if she isn't showing or competing in anything, then she's not breeding for any responsible purpose. ie how does she know her dogs meet the confo standards? How have they proven themselves worth breeding in any other venue? There are plenty of "pets with good temperaments" on the market and in shelters already, so if she isn't breeding to improve the breed, she shouldn't be doing it (and you shouldn't be supporting her).

You also didn't mention any health testing/screening of the parents. These are the minimums that she should be doing for all of her breeding dogs: Canine Health Information Center: CHIC Information

What age does she send the pups home, btw?

I just posted the following links on another thread but think you might find them useful as well. Make sure your breeder stacks up to these standards. http://www.gglrc.org/breeders.html
http://www.lrcsocal.org/Puppy%20Checklist.htm (both re: labs but applicable to all breeds)
http://www.akc.org/press_center/facts_stats.cfm?page=responsible_breeder
http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/general/portal/general/dogpurchase.shtml
http://www.vetinfo.com/how-to-find-an-ethical-dog-breeder.html
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/findingbreeder.htm
http://www.5stardog.com/dog-breeders.asp

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I take a LOT of issue with that "breeder".

Most glaring though is that the buyer is only guaranteed against genetic health defects for 7 days after purchase. 7 DAYS?!?! Are you kidding me? That should be 2 years at least. Most hereditary conditions won't show up until the dog has matured. 7 days is nothing. That's not a health guarantee, it's a scam. This is not a responsible breeder.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I take a LOT of issue with that "breeder".

Most glaring though is that the buyer is only guaranteed against genetic health defects for 7 days after purchase. 7 DAYS?!?! Are you kidding me? That should be 2 years at least. Most hereditary conditions won't show up until the dog has matured. 7 days is nothing. That's not a health guarantee, it's a scam. This is not a responsible breeder.

Ditto!!! A responsible breeder will take the puppy back at any time during it's life. ANY TIME!

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Ditto on the health guarantee. 7 days is enough to catch congenital but not all genetic/hereditary conditions. And the only hereditary thing she checks are eyes, so it's kind of like "good luck with the rest of your dog...."

It's not the worst breeder's site I've seen by far, but there is room for improvement.

For instance, she lists the standard, but she doesn't show to test her dogs' conformation, nor are her bloodlines from successful show lines (out of all the dogs, I only saw a few CH in the past 4 gens). So the fact that the standard is listed doesn't mean much, nor does the fact that they are AKC (anyone that can pay the registration fee can be AKC...). Again, no other competition or certifications for her dogs, which would lend purpose/function and temperament/trainability credence. She's essentially breeding pets, and as mentioned, this country has enough pets being put to sleep every day.

She also doesn't do the minimum health tests on her breeding dogs that the breed club has determined appropriate. (I do appreciate that she has removed certain dogs from her program* for health reasons and that she does CERF.)

8 wks is the bare minimum for keeping puppies--if I were to nit-pick (and I am), I'd prefer seeing at least 9 wks, even up to 12 wks with the litter and dam.

Please give those pages on responsible breeders I linked a look and also read more of the national breed club site that I listed in one of my first posts here.

*Although she doesn't actually keep them herself... I'd rather see her commit to her dogs if she expects her puppy owners to commit as well....

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I actually do not have a problem with the breeder not doing shows themselves. I'd rather have a healthy dog with a good temperament and dog shows are not known for putting those as a priority. There can be terrible health problems in a show dog who looks the part. I'd rather have a dog with a stable mind than...say...the perfect tail length.

Any good breeder will make you sign a contract that you are legally obligated to return the dog to them if you don't want them vs. shelter/rescue. They choose to rehome themselves vs. clog up shelters with their dogs.

Mini Schnauzers can have a lot of health issues. My sister has her 2nd one now and she is showing the signs of diabetes or cushing's at 7 (I think she's 7). She knows this dog was poorly bred and now she's sworn off schnauzers even though her first she really really enjoyed.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I actually do not have a problem with the breeder not doing shows themselves. I'd rather have a healthy dog with a good temperament and dog shows are not known for putting those as a priority. There can be terrible health problems in a show dog who looks the part. I'd rather have a dog with a stable mind than...say...the perfect tail length.
I agree, but this breeder is not "proving," competing/testing, or working with her dogs in any other venue/manner either. The very least she could do would be CGC.... To me, these are just pet dogs producing more pets--in a country overloaded with pets.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
marbear said:
I certainly agree that there are issues within the conformation world and that not all show breeders are good.

However a reputable breeder breeds for the complete package. For temperament (which is part of breed standard), health, and to standard (or in the case or working lines, for working ability). :)

Really to do this a breeder needs to show their dogs in some venue (be it conformation, agility, field events, obedience/rally, etc.) and do all the neccessary genetic and health testing. Some even do official temperament testing. ;)

Even if a breeder decided not to go the conformation route, they could still be showing their dogs (and should be IMO) in other venues. Perhaps if their focus was on producing an excellent pet/companion dog they could earn obedience and rally titles, earn their CGC, and even actively do therapy dog work inorder to help to prove their dogs' ability to serve as companions.:)

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Origin Saint, I do wish you the best of luck in finding the perfect dog!:)

Look through all of the links provided so that you can make an informed decision regarding this and any other breeder. I do also want to just encourage you to reconsider adopting. There are pups available in rescue with adoption fees in your original price range. I really doubt that you'll be able to find a pup from a repuatable breeder for that same price...

The added benefit to adopting is that the the pup should already be UTD of vaccinations, microchipped, and spayed/neutered. I do realize that the breeder you are considering is going to vaccinate and chip the pups, but you'll still need to alter your pup. So not only are you likely going to be paying a purchase price higer than an adoption fee, but you'll also need to pay for altering the pup later on. Unless you have a low cost clinic in your area, it could easily cost an additional $200+ dollars, which might be a consideration on a tight budget.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Well i read her website and she does say to bring the dog back to her if at any time the pup cannot be kept. Overall she seems like a decent person trying to make a few dollars breeding pet quality dogs. Her offer of a year of free grooming seems like a sincere way to stay in touch. Sure, not the best breeder out there but not terrible either.

Miles and miles better than a puppy mill or internet shipping sell to anyone breeder.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 22 Posts