Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone !

I recently just joined the dog forum because I'm really in need of some help with my dog. I rescued him about 2 months ago, he is a 6 year old black lab. When I first rescued him I had just moved into my new home that did not have a fence so of course I was taking him for walks constantly so he could use the bathroom and get some exercise. Now that where I live it's starting to get colder and poor weather, I had a fence put in for times when I just can't take him for a walk. Don't get me wrong! I love taking him outside, walking him, taking him to the dog park, there are just going to be times when I can't walk him and would like for him to learn that the backyard is there for him to go potty.

The issue is that he will refuse to use the bathroom at all in my new fenced in yard. He will literally hold it in and wait for me to finally give up and walk him outside the yard. I feel like I have tried everything to get him to go, I have even called my vet for answers. I have put him on the leash and tried walking him in the yard. I praise him with petting him and giving him treats when he has done something. I play with him for a while to try and get things moving. I have gotten sooo desperate that I went to the pet store and bought a spray that is supposed to get him to pee. Nothing has worked. I don't know what to do anymore and would really like some suggestions.

Thank you all !

·
Registered
347 Posts
You're just going to have to wait him out. Dogs can be very stubborn when they know that waiting you out will get them what they want. So you're just going to have to be the one that doesn't give in. Take him out to where you want him to go in the yard, give him 5-10 mins to do his business, don't play with him or anything, just wait him out. If he doesn't go bring him in and put him in his crate (or play pen) for 30 mins and try again. Keep doing this until he goes to the bathroom. Once he's done his business give him a bunch of praise and some great treats and then I would take him for a walk. Keep this up for a couple days.

After he's successful going in the yard I would take him to that spot every time before going for a walk, and even when coming back from a walk just to make sure he's done all his business.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I personally love taking raider for walks to do his business but I see the merit in having him use our yard too. (We live in a rural farming community and so if raid poops in the long grass on the shoulder I don't have to pick it up!! :D).

And so what I have been doing is when I go for walks with Raider I use two commands. One he knows very well because he pees at home is "Go pee, Raider!" He has a specific tree he pees on dubbed pee tree. Lol. The second command is "Find a spot". This one I just added and it's going very well. Just yesterday I took him to my in laws and I didn't have to take him on a walk to get him to poop. I meandered around their lawn saying "Find a spot, Raid." And eventually he pooped. A half of a hot dog rained down from the sky and into his mouth lol. On our walks in the morning after I drop my daughter off on the bus, I make sure I always tell him to find a spot. And once he has started to poop "Good find a spot!!" And depending of if I had time to grab treats he either gets a solid petting or a cookie.

It takes some time, but eventually your dog will get it. Also, maybe play fetch a bit too. I find if I play with Raider and get him moving his bowels move much quicker (not the actual movement but how long before he poops when I take him on a walk).

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
If he has mo problems, when he's outside the garden.
some dogs do that, because they don't want to make their home/territory all dirty. I think it is actually a good think.
I'd try to take him for short walk in the neighbourhood for him doing his business. If you can't ask a friend or neighbour or family member.
Just remember to take the poo-bags with you and pick the stuff up after your dog. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts