Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I was hoping to get some advice. I live in an apartment and am hoping to adopt a small dog after Thanksgiving. My apartment itself is nice. There is a big kitchen and family room area which is connected to my room and my private patio. My patio is small. However, I wanted to dog-proof it so that my dog has unrestricted access to it. That way the dog can go outside whenever he/she wants.

How do I pet proof this fence? I rent, so I can't nail anything in. I am not a handy person. I'm looking for something easy. I was thinking about doing some sort of mesh or wire and zip ties However, I can't anchor it to the bottom of the fence, because there is still a lot of space between the bottom bar and the concrete.

Any ideas on how to dog proof this? I have not adopted a dog yet. I wanted the patio area to be pet proofed before I adopted the dog so that he/she had unrestricted access.

patio1.jpg

patio2.jpg

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Instead of mesh, how about welded wire? You can get it small enough a dog can't fit through (if you're looking at a small dog, get as small of opening as possible to avoid a head getting stuck). You could also paint it to make it more attractive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Instead of mesh, how about welded wire? You can get it small enough a dog can't fit through (if you're looking at a small dog, get as small of opening as possible to avoid a head getting stuck). You could also paint it to make it more attractive.
That makes sense...how would I attach it to the cement part under the fence though? There's enough space between the bottom of the metal rail and the cement for a small dog to squeeze through...

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Welded wire is pretty sturdy, so as long as you cut it tall enough (exactly the height of the rail) it should be fine.

If you're still concerned, though, you could put a long heavy board along the bottom to hold it in place, or even some cinder blocks - one on each edge and maybe one or two in the middle.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
EDIT*: To be more specific, have the wire standing all the way from the top of the rail down to touching the concrete. You should be able to find a roll tall enough at a farm store pretty easily.

*sorry for the double post, it wouldn't let me edit the original on my phone. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts