Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 yr old large breed mix and a 2 yr old Lab. Murphy has Cushings and has had surgery on both of his knees. Stormy(Lab) is true to her name. She does not know how to slow down. The surgeon would love to see Murphy's weight down to around 90lbs. He currently is at 106. Stormy could stand to shed a few pounds herself. She is at 79lbs. I am feeding them Blue large breed 2x a day. They get about 3 cups daily each. I do limit treats. It seems that no matter what I do, Murphy can't shed any weight. We walk at least once a day for about 30min. Because of his knees, Murphy is not able to play like Stormy. He does play some. I've had his Thyroid checked and it is in the normal range. They both are on fish oil and gloucosimin(sp) supplements. I have tried switching to the weight control. It made no difference. I do like the large breed formula, because it has the extra supplements. I'm hoping to not switch brands again. They love Blue. Any advice is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
are you using a measuring cup? i was over-feeding my cat, a lot until i started using one :) is 3 cups the correct amount of food for their current weight or the correct weight? if stormy is eating really fast, maybe you could try one of those food bowls with the pegs in it, can't remember what they are called, but someone here knows :) are you supposed to encourage murphy to move around? would it be feasable to get a treat dispenser/puzzle ball (i use plastic soda bottles, but you have to make sure they aren't biting parts off and ingesting them)and start putting a portion of his 3 cups in that? when you say that the treats are limited each day, how? i think the best way is to measure out the diet and treats for each day and make sure that you don't give any more than that at all. you can also take a portion of the dry dog food to use as treats, most dogs don't need anything special and will be happy to take the food from your hand as if it were candy. do they get table scraps at all?
i started making my own homemade food for my dog to mix with his dry kibble because he had loose stools that just wouldn't firm up. i make it in advance and then freeze it, it isn't expensive and Clover is satiated after his meal so i think it works for him. i just put all this stuff in a food processor (otherwise he won't eat his veggies):
1 large cooked chicken breast (you can use turkey or lean gr beef etc)
3-4 hard boiled eggs
1 sm container of non-fat/lowfat cottage cheese or 1/2 of a large container of plain non-fat yogurt
1 cup of plain canned pumpkin (not the pie filler!) or unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup of green vegetable i blend that and then mix in about 6-8 cups of some mixture of oatmeal, brown rice, and barley.
1 tablespoon of flax oil.
i portion this out into thirds and freeze what i am not using and feed about 3/4 of a cup per day mixed with his dry stuff. i don't know if i should be more precise or not, but this seems to work.
fyi my dog will eat as much food as you put in front of him, he will make himself sick if i don't watch him so, i have to be careful to measure, but he really does seem satisfied after meal times now, not sniffing around for more to eat.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do use a measuring cup. Murphy is getting a little more than 1 1/2 cups 2x a day and Stormy is a little more than 1 2/3 cups 2x a day. These are the recommended feeding amounts for weights less than what the dogs weigh now. They get a treat (milk bone) each morning for fetching the newspaper and 1 more during the day. I use dry food for treats if I am training. My husband does feed them bites of his breakfast. Everything they eat during the day is still less than what dogs their weight are eating. Murphy is able to do whateverhisknees will let him.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I have a 70 pound lab/border collie and he gets 3 cups a day. I think you need to cut the food back for both. He is very tall and our vet said 70 lbs should be his weight from here on out, no bigger than that. My parents have a boxer/mastiff mix who is only 80-90 and he too is very tall and muscular....what kind of food are you feeding them?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would not give him the rice, to many carbs. Try natures receipe from pet smart, and justbecausefordogs treats from the internet. Keeps the weight down on my rott that 10 years old.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
I do use a measuring cup. Murphy is getting a little more than 1 1/2 cups 2x a day and Stormy is a little more than 1 2/3 cups 2x a day. These are the recommended feeding amounts for weights less than what the dogs weigh now. They get a treat (milk bone) each morning for fetching the newspaper and 1 more during the day. I use dry food for treats if I am training. My husband does feed them bites of his breakfast. Everything they eat during the day is still less than what dogs their weight are eating. Murphy is able to do whateverhisknees will let him.
yeah, i agree w/ pawz that 3 cups is probably too much, how active are they? if they aren't getting a good amount of exercise then you need to cut back the calorie intake to compensate, especially with murphy having trouble moving around. in the mean time, i think the puzzle balls would be a good way to spread out their meals and get them moving around a bit more for their dinner.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am feeding them Blue. If your dog is 70 lbs on 3 cups a day, then Murphy being 106 lbs should lose some weight on 3 cups a day. Even Stormy should lose a little at 79 lbs..I would think?? I do use Kong toys to put their food in sometimes.They have quickly figured out how to get the food out. We average about a 45 min. walk everyday plus playtime. I may try the weight control and supplement with gloucosamin(sp) tablets.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I am feeding them Blue. If your dog is 70 lbs on 3 cups a day, then Murphy being 106 lbs should lose some weight on 3 cups a day. Even Stormy should lose a little at 79 lbs..I would think?? I do use Kong toys to put their food in sometimes.They have quickly figured out how to get the food out. We average about a 45 min. walk everyday plus playtime. I may try the weight control and supplement with gloucosamin(sp) tablets.
You may need to consider a food that has less calories and fat and whatnot...blue is good for very very active dogs. Murphy you said had knee surgery so in the end cannot be as active as other labs are. If he is eating 3 cups a day you need to cut it back to maybe 2 cups a day, or switch to a weight control food. Has your vet given you any advice on weight control for a dog who had knee sx?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I never realized it was really rich. I still feel like such a rookie when it comes to good food.

I know they shouldn't have corn, wheat or soy. No by products.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

Jo

·
Registered
193 Posts
I know someone who has a very overweight dog - they cut the recommended amount of food for the weight their dog should be by 1/2 cup food and instead add 1 cup fresh or canned green beans - no sodium and rinsed. They have had great success with this and their dog has lost almost 35lbs since Jan. They also added very short walks at the start and are now increasing the distance.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I know someone who has a very overweight dog - they cut the recommended amount of food for the weight their dog should be by 1/2 cup food and instead add 1 cup fresh or canned green beans - no sodium and rinsed. They have had great success with this and their dog has lost almost 35lbs since Jan. They also added very short walks at the start and are now increasing the distance.
Gee I wonder if this will work for me....:ponder:Cut my meats and breads back by half and substitute a cup of fresh green beans....LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hiya,

if you cook up some veg like carrots peas and beans etc and mix it up with a little wet dog food, most dogs will scoff it all up, then you can reduce the amount of actual dog food you are giving your dog, helping to cut down on fats etc :)

this worked wonders for an overweight foster dog i took in last year - and as always... exercise exercise exercise :) take your dog out - you on the bike, him running beside... thats great because its easier to cycle until you wear the dog out, rather than run or walk :)

good luck with the chubby pups :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts