Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum.

We have a 10 month old lab mix (Zoey) We've had her since she was 2 months old. Zoey listens to me and will obey me. She will also to certain degree obey my two little girls (7 and 4).

However, with my wife she is very Zoey is very jeckle and hyde. There are times when she is fine but there are times that she will jump on my wife, bit (hard enough to hurt but not break skin and will do damage to clothes). It's gotten to the point that Zoey will over power my wife when she is doing this.

She has tried the whole ignore/turn back thing, hold Zoey down by the collar and try to calm her down (but she keeps biting/gnawling, show teeth, etc), give treats, even physical things like slaps on the nose (not hard but hard enough) [yes, we don't like the physical discipline but she had to try], I've stepped in (Zoey will back down but she will try to go around me and get to my wife), she even trying the Ceasar Milan tennis racket barrier thing.

My wife comes home during lunch and she says Zoey is fine then. It only at night that she is like this and sometimes in the morning.

Suggestions please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We walk her every morning and evening. During lunch when my wife comes home, they play fetch outside. Example, last night I took Zoey for a walk (a nice brisk 45 minute walk) and even after the walk she was still aggressive towards my wife. We also have two kids and they play with the dog.

As for training, we can do more training but we do train. We've taken her to a puppy training class. We've read a bunch of books and information on the web.

As for who does the training, both myself and wife. Honestly, my wife does more of the training than me.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I get the impression your wife, though getting knocked over, has had no damage done? Trust me, if your dog was aggressive, she'd be at the ER...sounds more like inapropriate play, perhaps the way she responds makes him think she likes it, or that she will put up with it....what happens if she makes a loud, crisp, OUCH sound?

unfortunately, for a lab mix, you may have to do more exercise...but definetly more training...think 3x a day (short sessions) I'd say the majority of dogs act out because they are bored.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I agree totally with Crio-labs need like a ton of exercise. Any possibility of introducing a treadmill for her? Or a weighted back pack for walks?

On listening to your wife...I'd get your wife to work more with her on training and be more forceful in her tone/body language/demeanor. I'd be willing to bet your wife is doing somethign that says to your dog "you can, but you don't have to" ;)

It's common I think, my dog is SUPER bonded to me, BUT completely ignores my commands sometimes. I have to check how I'm saying it, how I'm standing-in obedience Dave did most of the handling because he's new to dog ownership-probably should have been me, since he doesn't seem to listen to me ;) He just knows I won't reinforce things... (smacks hand-I know it's bad!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your suggestions, I think my wife and I missed a key point. The common thing for Zoey to behave like this is me. When I am home, is when she would act in this aggressive state.

We think that Zoey thinks that the pack order is me, Zoey, wife, kids. Could this be dog envy, jealousy and Zoey is trying to maintain what she thinks is the pack order? If so what do we do?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
We think that Zoey thinks that the pack order is me, Zoey, wife, kids. Could this be dog envy, jealousy and Zoey is trying to maintain what she thinks is the pack order? If so what do we do?
this has nothing to do with pack structure. Your dog needs more stimulation. Shes a ten month old lab. Shes bored.

also scientists contest that dogs brains can process emotions like evny and jealousy at all. So very likely shes not envious or jealous.

she finds jumping on your wife rewarding...you need to figure out why. Perhaps a video will help. In the meantime teach a solid solid solid SIT. and ask her to sit when shes jumping.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
stop worrying about pack structure and address the behavior that needs to be solved...if she is jumping up, teach her to sit for attention instead ( she cannot do both ) if she is mouthing don't give her attention, and/or give her something you want her to have in her mouth...
and labs need tons and tons of exercise...they were bred deliberately for stamina...tire her out with fun learning games and exercise...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Agree with the others :)

Rewards for a dog can be as simple as touching! So when you touch when the dog jumps up=even if your pushing the dog down..It can be a reward.

I think your totally on the right track-especially seeking help before it's a big deal :)

Fawkese and Crio's advice is great-keep us posted on how it comes along!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts