Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Telly seems to have cut her tongue on something. We first thought she cut her leg then traced the blood back to her tongue and there it was. Her mouth is so small we can't get a good look at the cut but I called the emergency center and the girl who seems to be only a receptionist just said to apply pressure. We tried a cold rag and had her bite down on it and hold it there. She hated it so then we just let her lick an ice cube. Seems to be helping. The blood is slowing a lot and she isn't licking everything. Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
How big is the dog?
How old is she?
Does she have any health problems?

Is it possible she has swallowed something sharp, such as broken glass?

Can you try again to get a look at the size of the cut? That is sort of important.

Check her gums to see if they are nice and pink. If they are pale that is a bad sign.

Is she acting her normal self?

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Overall, I think the most important thing is that you identify exactly what is going on in her mouth. It could be a small harmless cut on her tongue from licking something sharp, but it could be she has swallowed a sharp object, or has a sharp object lodged in her mouth, or perhaps it is a problem with a tooth. You really need to SEE what is happening in there to have any idea of this is nothing to worry about or something serious.

Reactions: Holly

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How big is the dog?
How old is she?
Does she have any health problems?

Is it possible she has swallowed something sharp, such as broken glass?

Can you try again to get a look at the size of the cut? That is sort of important.

Check her gums to see if they are nice and pink. If they are pale that is a bad sign.

Is she acting her normal self?
Telly is an 8 month old yorkie/dachshund mix. She was 8.1lbs when she was last weighed about 2 months ago and she hasn't grown much since.

She seems perfectly content now napping in her favorite place, my husbands arms. I tried to open her mouth but she pulled so much and the first the all I saw was blood. I have sat right next to her watching every yawn. The blood has stopped. She drank some cool water and we have cleaned the blood off of her face. There hasn't been anymore blood in at least 15 minutes and she is napping, breathing normal, acting normal.

We put away all toys so when she is up and moving around she won't reopen or cause more problems on anything.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Hopefully she is fine then, but I'd be watching her carefully.

You and I posted at the same time (comment 3)... I still think you need to get a good look at this, so you KNOW what is going on.

Also, if you can figure out what she cut herself on that would help.

At 8 months, it may not be a cut at all... could be a molar erupting?

But your description sounds like a LOT of blood...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully she is fine then, but I'd be watching her carefully.

You and I posted at the same time (comment 3)... I still think you need to get a good look at this, so you KNOW what is going on.

Also, if you can figure out what she cut herself on that would help.

At 8 months, it may not be a cut at all... could be a molar erupting?

But your description sounds like a LOT of blood...
Okay while she is napping I snuck out to the garage and looked at a trash bag we have out there. I notice a small thin cut in the bag with a little bit of blood around it. Sure enough there was a glass bbq bottle that broke and she was licking the sauce through the bag. There is no tear in the bag big enough for her to swallow the glass. The glass piece is big and a point of it was sticking up and it appears she just ran her tongue right over it. I did work in nursing for 9 years and quickly learned the smell of blood. She licked my hand when I first picked her up and I smelled the red stuff and it definitely smells like blood. Hate that smell. After she wakes up my husband is going to double bag the bag and put it where she can't get to it. He feels so bad because he just tossed it out to the garage. He cried about it when we figured out what happened. We have fertility issues and haven't trying for a baby for 5 years so these are our babies and he is taking it really hard. :(

She yawned a few minutes ago and I looked inside again and there is no blood at all. Gums look fine. She isn't traumatized just relaxing like normal. Of course, I'll be watching her like a hawk. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Okay while she is napping I snuck out to the garage and looked at a trash bag we have out there. I notice a small thin cut in the bag with a little bit of blood around it. Sure enough there was a glass bbq bottle that broke and she was licking the sauce through the bag. There is no tear in the bag big enough for her to swallow the glass. The glass piece is big and a point of it was sticking up and it appears she just ran her tongue right over it. I did work in nursing for 9 years and quickly learned the smell of blood. She licked my hand when I first picked her up and I smelled the red stuff and it definitely smells like blood. Hate that smell. After she wakes up my husband is going to double bag the bag and put it where she can't get to it. He feels so bad because he just tossed it out to the garage. He cried about it when we figured out what happened. We have fertility issues and haven't trying for a baby for 5 years so these are our babies and he is taking it really hard. :(

She yawned a few minutes ago and I looked inside again and there is no blood at all. Gums look fine. She isn't traumatized just relaxing like normal. Of course, I'll be watching her like a hawk. Thanks for your help!

Fabulous that you figured out what happened!
With your nursing experience, you should be able to keep a good eye on her. You sound like absolutely lovely puppy parents. She is a very lucky dog! :)

Reactions: CandMc23

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much, Tess!
She just woke up from a long nap and we are just focusing on distracting her from licking herself. :/ Wish us luck!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Well, one good thing is that mouth wounds tend to heal very quickly... as I'm sure you know.

She sounds totally precious and adorable. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, one good thing is that mouth wounds tend to heal very quickly... as I'm sure you know.

She sounds totally precious and adorable. :)
She is precious and adorable (unfortunately the most adorable when she is running away with my slipper in her mouth lol)

She did wake up and had a very little bit of blood again. We gave her a piece of ice and held it in a white rag so we could monitor the amount of blood. Half way through one cube it stopped again. I'm trying to decide if I need to stay home with her tomorrow. I work a four hour shift tomorrow morning and i would be devastated to come home and find that she licked herself and opened it and bled out. Anyone know about how quick it will heal? Like a few days? 24 hours? A week?

·
Premium Member
Zoe, Phoenix, Alice - ACDx
4,325 Posts
Just for future reference for anyone who comes along later and reads this, if a dog has bit it's tongue or cut it's tongue, you can apply a bit of sugar to it and it will help clot it and stop the bleeding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just for future reference for anyone who comes along later and reads this, if a dog has bit it's tongue or cut it's tongue, you can apply a bit of sugar to it and it will help clot it and stop the bleeding.
WOW I thought sugar was bad for dogs? Should I just let her lick a little bit out of my hand? I'd still feel better knowing it's clotted. It did just bleed a bit more when she woke up. Should I still try a little sugar for safe measure?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Zoesmom, that's good to know. Meg almost got kicked by one of the horses the other day. Her father cut his tongue on his own teeth after a kick from one of my mares. She thankfully just warned him, showed a lot of restraint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts