Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time I gave her a entire raw cow femur to chew on when we sat down to dinner, not 40min later half the bone is gone and there is sharp looking bone shrapnel is laying around. I took the bone and cleaned up the shards but am terrified that they could cause intestinal damage.

Should I take her to a 24hr vet hospital? Is she going to be ok?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I do know that if the bone was raw, it might not be too bad. You'd probably feel better if you called a vet, at least.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its been about an hour now, no vomiting, is sleeping so doesn't seem to be in pain. Hoping this isn't serious

·
Registered
614 Posts
Raw bones are usually fine its the cooked one that normally cause damage.
She will show signs, not wanting to eat her normal food, drinking a lot, lethargic.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't ever feed her chicken bones though.. they splinter easily and can do her real harm. But yes.. any other bone you feed her, supervise!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Don't ever feed her chicken bones though.. they splinter easily and can do her real harm. But yes.. any other bone you feed her, supervise!
I've never had a problem with chicken bones (they are actually the bones Bandit eats most of). It's truly cooked bones and weight bearing bones from larger animals you have to worry about.

Reactions: Pantalanomin
1 - 8 of 8 Posts