Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to this to save time im going to copy paste what i wrote on a 'ask a vet forum' im wondering if anyone has the same problem with a poo eating dog. yeah i know dogs to random disgusting acts but there comes a time when enough is enough.

heres what i wrote......

hi, i just have a question about my 2yr lab Chelsea.
she has a horrible habbit im not sure if its just one of those yuck dog things, just her own thing or something worth looking into. theres nothing quite like your dog coming for a cuddle with a big poo smear on her mouth and the breath that goes with it.
she eats grass no suprise there iv seen alot of dogs eat grass, but then she vomits it up and eats it again. then she does a big grass infeasted poo and if i dont pick it up in time she waits for it to get a crust in the sun and eats her grass infested poo. what the???? she has done this from day one as a little pup. not only does she eat her own poo she eats our other dogs poo too. it doesnt stop there either when we go out walking theres a section where i let her off the lead and she goes in search of cat poo and eats that too!!!!! or she finds our own cats poo in the garden and has a chomp.
she probally gets more than enough to eat as i run a house where every meal is cooked for scratch and most the time im chucking vegie scraps or my daughters left overs out the door plus she gets nuts at night when she goes to bed and never finishes her portion.
we love her but she has this horrible disgusting poo eating habbit. do you have any idea why?
theres my gross dog question. hope you can help.

so has anyone here had this problem? the other forum i posted in doesnt get much traffic, hoping to hear im no the only on with a poo eater or maybe someone knows why.

thanks for your help:)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dogs just like the taste of poo it seems, plus, they learn about other dogs from smelling and eating their poo.
Anyway, my dog tried it several times, but I gave a pull on the choke chain each time, and it seems to have helped, you could try that, or just trap the poo by putting hot chili sauce in it and stuff, it might work, or at least make her more cautious to what poo she eats. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What do you feed your dog? It could be that she isn't completely digesting her food and it is still smelling. My lab used to eat my ex boyfriends cat's poop. Vet said it was because the cats weren't completely digesting the food he was giving them. Could be the same thing here maybe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
im no expert, but i think you dog might be missing some nutrients. so your dog is trying to get it from somewhere else.
how do you feel about doing a barf diet. it will make the dog more healthy. it might cost a little more, but if you buy the food on sale it saves a bunch of money.
just a thought

·
Registered
3 Posts
My miniture french poodle has eaten poo a few times over the past 3 years. He seems to enjoy cat poo mostly. I ask my vet about this behavior. The answer given is that cat poo tastes like chocolate to dogs. Dont know if it is true or not but I can confirm that dogs eating poo is a common trait. EEWWWWWWW!

·
Registered
303 Posts
There are a number of products on the market to deter this behavior. It is called coperphasia (sp). Ususally it starts from a lack of proper nutrition and then the dogs develop a taste for it. So the best thing to do is research dog foods that are of good quality nutrient wise and then add the taste deterant.

Also a handy trick is to feed them pineapple. Just a few pieces a day will change the way their poop tastes to them and they wont eat it.

For those dogs that forage in the cat box, this is tough to solve. I'd suggest a covered box. Booda makes one that is round and has steps up into the box and then a drop into the sand. Most dogs cant' get into it. I say most because small dogs the size of a cat or smaller can.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Georgia...I use that exact cat box for my cat to keep the dogs out of it. Works like a charm. From my understanding, dog enjoy cat poop but cat food has more proteins in it than dog food dogs so they are attracted to the taste. Almost every dog I've met has an obsession with the cat box when given the chance.

As for eating their own poop, look into Georgia's suggestion. It usually is a dietary problem where they're body is still craving nutrients but they do make things to put on top of their food that will change the way it tastes once its digested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh, that's gross. Our dogs done it several times too. But with constant scolding, I think they realized that it shouldn't be eaten. On a side note, I'm amused why they are into eating new puppies poop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same problem, poop eating. I think this is more than a "taste" thing. I think it is a form of "keep from being scolded because I pooped in the house!" She doesn't do it outdoors. Just if she has an accident indoors. Her poo smells horrible! So I know she has had an accident and following the fumes, I find where she went and it's gone! I very cautiously smell her breath and yeah, it smells like poo. I'm looking for a natural cure as when I sleep, of course I can't lace the poop with anything. She is already on high dollar puppy food. She is an indoor dog, doesn't roam or is ever outside by herself so I know the only time she does this is when she has an accident on her Pee-Pad, basically a heavy towel layed on top of a large plastic kitchen trash bag. What really gets me upset is, tonight for example....we had just gone outside and not five minutes later when being back in the house, she pooped, and ate it. My pup has nothing lacking. She is the Queen and treated as such with love, attention, toys galour, playing together, she just has it made! I don't know why she does this and also am looking for an answer, and oh, she has the most noxious gas you can barely stand. You can just about see the colors of fumes leaving her butt. It's horrible. She is a 4 month old Bull Mastiff. I would appreciate any input you get on how to resolve this as well, for both me and my dogs sake. It can't possibly be healthy as poop is waste the body rejects! So why the attraction?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh, that's gross. Our dogs done it several times too. But with constant scolding, I think they realized that it shouldn't be eaten. On a side note, I'm amused why they are into eating new puppies poop.
It is an instinct for dogs to clean puppies butts. Not to "clean" them, but rather to stimulate them to learn to poop and pee. And the mama eats it as well as the placenta. Yuck, I know, but that's the fact! Just FYI

·
Registered
13 Posts
Choochoo,
I am no expert too but I think, like oneisa suggested,maybe your puppy is not digesting food completely.You wrote you feed vegetable but how do you feed? Vegetable has cell that dog cannot break well to digest well and, to be digested,it needs to be pureed. With cat poo,I think Georgia's suggestion is great.
But,I think you can clicker train chelsea "Leave it" and every time she tries to go for it,"Leave it" command and she can ignore it. And you pick up the poop soon it is hit the ground be good practice too. Accident in the house;as soon as she comes back,she does poop you wrote.You can be tough mom and be outside until she finish her poop and then back inside the house.When she did outside,overly praise her. Taking her out after play after excitement,after nap etc are good for potty training too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This really isn't all that uncommon, there is a product called "forbid" that is supposed to help stop them from doing this and I have heard pineapple works well to never tried it or if your dogs would even eat it. Using hot sauce really isn't a good idea it is called HOT sauce for a reason about the only thing you are going to accomplish by using it is their mouth is burned and so is there..well you know what goes in must come out just seems a little cruel to me

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your not alone. My dog, the lil one, Misha, shes a 10 pound yorkie, and she eats horse poop bigger than her. She'll eat everything from dog poop, to horse poop, to goat poop, to BUNNY poop. Her "favorite" is cat poo. Its disgusting, there are special pills you can feed your dog to help make the taste taste HORRIBLE! Or you can put lemon juice/hot sauce on it. Or just clean it up ASAP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts