Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be lengthy but the more you know, it could be easier for everyone to break down what she is. I've included a link with some recent pictures of her.

I got a dog from a rescue shelter in New York about 2 years ago when she was only 3 months old. Nobody had any information on her breed or her ancestors or how she was raised. The only thing we know is that she came from Virginia and she was born on July 3rd.

Right now she is a bit over 2 years old and her personality towards any other animal or stranger is not something that would be considered friendly. I'm not gonna go into detail about everything but rather just the details I feel are important to better identifying her breed.

The Bad
When I first saw her in her cage at the shelter she was barking at everything. Nonstop. She also had newspaper in the cage in case she had to use the bathroom, except she shredded it up into pieces. We thought nothing of it so we adopted her. The next thing we noticed was the first time she was brought to the vet there were other animals there, most being much larger than she is, and she barked at them, seeming as if she wanted to attack them. After living with us for a while she started to chew on furniture and tends to shreds things up, especially paper. Luckily today, she rarely does this. She also does not like most strangers, some strangers she meets she'll jump on them and be annoying but not in an aggressive manner. Others will make her angry for no reason and she'll want to attack them. She's also agressive to every dog she gets near. Shes gotten into fights with dogs twice her size, fights with a dog that's no more than 10 pounds. She isn't around dogs because she creates trouble every time when she's near one so she has no friends.

The Good
Her personality is very protective. Whenever someone walks past our rural located house she'll immediately bark nonstop until they're out of site. If a dog walks past she's louder, her hair sticks up a lot from the top of her head to her spine and growls. She is very playful, sometimes too much like biting at the bottom of your pants or sleeves. She is home alone for about 6 hours during the day except summers so she's usually around people. She also goes outside in the backyard a lot to run around and play. She's a scavenger type, she'll dig multiple holes in the ground, attacks at small animals like a field mouse and if given the opportunity to leave the house without being tied up, she'll just stroll along as far as she wants, wherever she wants until we catch her. She's an extremely fast runner, has tons of energy all the time (unless its very early in the morning). She doesn't howl either. When on walks around the neighborhood she will sniff most things around her. She's athletic and loves to play with people she's familiar with.

Now right now at 2 years old, she's probably fully grown by now and shes 21 inches tall from her paws to her shoulders and weighs just a bit more than 50lbs. Eats two bowls of food a day and has her share of human food and treats and drinks a lot of water and goes to the vet when shes supposed to so i assume she's in healthy condition. Right now I have no idea what type of breed she could be which I feel is necessary to determining why her personality is the way it is and how I could calm her down in uncomfortable situations. She's also been to training for two 4 week sessions, once a week, which has helped a little bit but her aggressiveness towards dogs and some people hasn't changed. If anybody could help identify her breed as best as you can, it could really help us in the long run.

·
Registered
874 Posts
So I wouldn't say Cur based off of location, Curs are native to the Gulf Coast (Florida to Texas). Definatively deciding if a dog is a Cur is difficult because they come in shades of yellow, brindle, and even black (where they look like labs). They can even not have the black mask. This being said based on looks/temperament I could believe that she is some type of Cur mix (I believe here coat is slightly to long and to dark to be all Cur).
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
874 Posts
@Ythusks Is the inside of her mouth black? Lips and basically everything except her tongue, if so this gives you a pretty clear indication that she has BMC in her gene pool.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.