Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a early twenties girl with a past with stalkers, sex offenders, and attempted rapes. The police chief was apparently friends with one of my abusers in the city I ran away to and in my hometown the police wouldn't do their job. I have been to about ten different cities trying to find a safe place and need a dog to come with me for protection. I am about to move to yet ANOTHER city and get an apartment. I will be alone since I have no one to help. I was looking at getting a German shepherd, Belgian Malinois or a Rottweiler, I wanted a Great Dane but I hear they aren't aggressive and apartment complex won't allow over 100 lbs. I will unfortunately have to get as puppy to train properly. I am a dog enthusiast and have had many dogs before so training shouldn't be an issue. I will be moving states in a few months and probably houses a few more times before states given what my life is like, the dog will join me in future moves. Last dog I had went with me pretty much everywhere but church and I can get service dog tags so that should be okay. He saved my life countless times when they came to my house! He was better than police! I don't want to create too intense sep. anxiety but he needs to follow me everywhere, even Joining me when I go to bathroom like my old one did. My old one did those things without being trained or asked to. Any tips for this dog or what I should do? What would be the best breed to get of those named or more if you can think of another breed. Anything else?

·
Registered
159 Posts
http://www.dogforum.com/new-additions/i-want-guard-dog-173594/

Edit to add the likelihood that an apartment will let you rent with any of the stereotypical "aggressive" breeds like German Shepherds, Mals, or Rotties (by the way, Rotties and GSDs can and do reach over 100lbs).

Also, you can't "get service dog tags". You have to have a disability as defined by the ADA and the dog must perform trained tasks that mitigate that disability (ie, barking at strangers is not a task). Not to mention taking a dog you want to be aggressive out into public situations is a HUGE liability for you and massively irresponsible. If your dog acts in a manner that is threatening, even if you are claiming it is a service dog, it can and will be ejected and you can face lawsuits from business owners as well as huge fines for violating federal law by faking a service animal.

If I were you I would look into moving and filing restraining orders. Domestic violence organizations in your area should be able to help you if you need it. The reasons you want a dog and the situation you are proposing are only going to create more problems for you.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
First of all, I want to say I'm sorry you've had to experience such trauma and fear. Second of all, I really want to caution you on this. The concept of protection dogs is great, but the reality can be very scary. The problem with protection dogs is that they can't necessarily discern 'good' people from bad without human direction. Considering your levels of fear are also likely higher than your average person, a situation that might make you feel afraid (say a strange man jogging past you) may make your dog think it has to attack. Dogs like this can also attack during normal human behaviors they see as attacks, such as hugs, tickling and even consensual sex. Also, what sort of dog experience (breeds, training, etc) do you have?

I have to add I'm a bit troubled that you would put, essentially an attack dog under the umbrella of a service dog. A service dog is like a therapist, a protection dog is like an armed bodyguard. It is an enormous danger to the public to bring a dog like that everywhere with you.

If you are ready for a dog, can train and handle a powerful breed and don't just look at it like a furry loaded gun (which is what protection dogs are) then it might be totally fine if you get one of the breeds listed. The thing about most dogs--especially breeds like that, is they don't need to be trained to protect you. If a man broke into your home or grabbed you and you screamed for help to say, a Rottie or GSD without ANY protection to attack training, the dog would have this guy's throat. It's just that attack training (esp trained by someone without experience in it) creates an accident waiting to happen.

So I would really recommend you talk to some people who know more about what these animals are like, and also seek out other forms of legal peotection, possibly a martial arts class, and some other help to be safe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sorry, my time limit to edit my post above expired.

The likelihood that an apartment will let you rent with any of the stereotypical "aggressive" breeds like German Shepherds, Mals, or Rotties (by the way, Rotties and GSDs can and do reach over 100lbs) is close to nil, particularly if you are training it to be aggressive. Here is a list of dogs typically not allowed by apartments. If you are caught with a dog that you are not allowed to have, you will be found in violation of your lease and A. you will have to rehome your aggressive dog or B. you will face eviction.

Here is what the ADA says about what qualifies as a service dog. Your dog would NOT qualify.

Additionally, training a dog for bite and guard work is NOT the same as training a dog to heel or potty outside. Unless you've been involved in ringsport and protection work for awhile (and to be honest it sounds like you haven't) you will not have to knowledge to train a dog to perform these behaviors without becoming dangerous to others and yourself.

Just in case you didn't know, restraining orders do not go through police departments, they are granted by judges. I got help filling mine out at a local women's shelter. Buying a new puppy while getting ready to move, and training it to be "aggressive" is going to put way more stress on you and create a ton of extra problems that you don't need. If you have any questions or you want help with a restraining order or finding resources PLEASE don't hesitate to PM me. I have been where you are and I am more than happy to help you. :) <3

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
A good, well trained, protection dog should never be aggressive unless the owner gives him the command to attack. To do the work that they are required to do they NEED to be mentally stable dogs, that means they should never be nervous, fearful, human aggressive, fear aggressive dogs. So you are going to have to spend a lot of money, and find a breeder that is breeding for stable temperaments, you are going to have to be prepared to wait for months, to over a year, for your puppy, and you will have to be prepared for the puppy to maybe not work out and have to start the process all over again.

Next you are going to need to train the dog to be a protection dog, it's not a fast process, and it's not a cheap one, so you are going to have to spend quite a bit of money on the training. Here's one place and the cost Protection Dog Training Prices | Protection Dogs Plus You can always buy one already trained Protection Dog Rates | Levels | Cost | K9 University (OK)

All that is if you do it properly. You can go the fast and cheap way, you can simply buy a mentally unstable, people fearing, fear aggressive dog. The only catch is that it'll want to attack anyone that's around, will be an emotional wreck, will be hell to live with, and will be a huge liability and danger to the general public. You'll likely never want to walk it if people are around...

You're wanting to fake a service dog? Am I understanding correctly? People who do so, and their poorly trained dog ends up acting up, especially being aggressive, give all the legitimate service dog owners a bad name and make it that much harder for them. It's also illegal. I really hope you do not do that!

·
Registered
7 Posts
A good, well trained, protection dog should never be aggressive unless the owner gives him the command to attack. To do the work that they are required to do they NEED to be mentally stable dogs, that means they should never be nervous, fearful, human aggressive, fear aggressive dogs. So you are going to have to spend a lot of money, and find a breeder that is breeding for stable temperaments, you are going to have to be prepared to wait for months, to over a year, for your puppy, and you will have to be prepared for the puppy to maybe not work out and have to start the process all over again.

Next you are going to need to train the dog to be a protection dog, it's not a fast process, and it's not a cheap one, so you are going to have to spend quite a bit of money on the training. Here's one place and the cost Protection Dog Training Prices | Protection Dogs Plus You can always buy one already trained Protection Dog Rates | Levels | Cost | K9 University (OK)

All that is if you do it properly. You can go the fast and cheap way, you can simply buy a mentally unstable, people fearing, fear aggressive dog. The only catch is that it'll want to attack anyone that's around, will be an emotional wreck, will be hell to live with, and will be a huge liability and danger to the general public. You'll likely never want to walk it if people are around...

You're wanting to fake a service dog? Am I understanding correctly? People who do so, and their poorly trained dog ends up acting up, especially being aggressive, give all the legitimate service dog owners a bad name and make it that much harder for them. It's also illegal. I really hope you do not do that!
I absolutely agree with everything stated here.
Especially the last paragraph. Truly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts