Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 year old faux-frenchie started with diarrhea a little over a week ago. I fasted him for 24 hours and put him on rice and chicken. Worked. After several days went back on normal food everything was fine but he started a cough, dry, nothing coming up. Went away after a day though so didn't think much of it.

Now yesterday diarrhea started again, this time I noticed small amounts of bright red in some of it, not a lot just a spot here and there. Was gone all day today with work came home to TONS of diarrhea, in little spots, must have been a hundred of them, and several bright red spots. And he was coughing a lot as he was super excited. Calmed him down and he stopped coughing.

Now he has had not change in his energy, eating habits, or drinking. Just the coughing and diarrhea. Which I know is enough that I need to take him in. I guess my question is I liv ein the booneys and its a long long way to a 24 hour clinic. Any thoughts as to what this could be? Hes quietly sitting next to me now, not coughing, trying to get me to play with im but I'm trying to keep him calm.

I appreciate any input at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
He needs to be seen by a Vet. Blood in his stool is a red flag, add a dry hacking cough to it and the red flag gets bigger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know they are red flags as I said I plan to take him in to the vet. My question was any ideas on possible causes and can this wait till Monday or do I need to take the 2 hour drive to an after hours clinic?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Waiting until Monday in lieu of emergency, is something you are going to have to evaluate. If its not getting worse, if he is eating drinking, and eliminating, and able to move on his own, Monday may well be soon enough, but if he isn't drinking, you have to do something to keep him from dehydrating, which leads to organ failure. Going for ER treatment is always a judgement call, you know your dog and how far off normal he is, better than any of us possibly could.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,820 Posts
From the symptoms you've described, it's really hard to say whether his condition is severe enough to warrant a trip to the emergency vet. You might want to at least call them and see what they have to say.

What I can tell you is that if he was my dog I'd likely opt to wait till at least a few hours. Any more diarrhea and we'd be at the vet. If the cough got worse we'd be there. I'd also make that call to the e-vet and if they said to bring him in I'd do so.

I'm wondering if he might have swallowed something that he shouldn't have, and if it's at minimum aggravated his digestive system. That's the reason I'm advising at minimum a call to the e-vet.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Laco

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put him on chicken and rice diet answers no more diarrhea. He's eating and drinking from plenty. He is still coughing though. I don't think its kennel cough though as it's been a week bandbox our other dog is fine and they have been very restricted with no access to parks or other dogs for at least a few months just our property. Also he only coughs when excited or active.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Glad he is feeling better, but the continued cough may or may not be problematic. Since excitement seems to bring it on, it could possible be a collapsed or collapsing trachea. Again it will take a Vet to properly diagnose, X-ray's typically will show a deformed or collapsing trachea. Lacking noticeable improvement, if he were mine I would get a Vet's opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,599 Posts
Hopefully tomorrow is vet day. I'd keep him on the chicken rice diet until the vet diagnoses the problems. Hold back some on the water because of his very loose stools.

Honestly, I'm concerned. Wishing you the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took to vet. Overall good shape. They are running some tests and won't have results till tomorrow but they think the coughing is tracheal collapse and have given some stuff for that and suggest based on the diarrhea that we keep him on chicken and rice a couple more days and work food back in. Will update once havebresults in case there is a parasite present. Thanks for everyone's concern and comments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Took to vet. Overall good shape. They are running some tests and won't have results till tomorrow but they think the coughing is tracheal collapse and have given some stuff for that and suggest based on the diarrhea that we keep him on chicken and rice a couple more days and work food back in. Will update once havebresults in case there is a parasite present. Thanks for everyone's concern and comments.
If its a trachea collapse and the Vet gives your pup Torbatol..just know that prolonged use, at least this is what happened to our pup, caused him to get inflammation in his tummy so just be careful..dont overuse it..only when necessary..and I recommend an xray too to rule out bronchitis keep us posted hoping for the best
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top