Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working for a new pet service company and I told my boss we should make profiles for the dogs, especially for when more walkers or trainers come into it. That way they have an easy easy way to look up the dog's behaviors, health and what to expect. I was hoping we could have an online profile for the dogs that can be looked up by anyone using it and be updated when necessary. I was making a checklist of behaviors that could be checked off and show up in a "behaviors to be aware of" box on the profiles. So what do you think of this list? Is there anything I left out? Most of the behaviors are applicable to walks but anything you think should be included would be appreciated. Thanks!

-jumping on people
-jumping on other dogs
-guards food
-guards toys
-guards people/handler
-pulls leash
-reluctant walker
-nips
-hand shy
-reactive to other dogs
-reactive to bikes/skateboards
-reactive to people
-leash biter
-submissive peer
-excitement peer
-urine marker
-fearful (I might see if we can add a more details explanation of what the fears are)

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm guessing this would be for other dog walkers to share inside information, not so much for owners to fill out? It has been my experience that most average pet owners can't be trusted to accurately assess their dog's quirks and give an honest representation of them. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have owners fill out a sort of "personality survey", and it can be telling in some respects, but take it with a grain of salt :)

I would add the following:
__ Collar/harness slipper
__ Leash reactive
__ Barrier aggressive (could be the same as leash reactive, but some dogs are one vs the other)
__ Redirects onto people
__ Redirects onto other dogs
__Walks best with ____ device/equipment
__ Caution with ______ (men with hats/children/direct eye contact/touching feet/other trigger)
__ Noise phobic? Specifically of _____

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Something to do with prey drive maybe? There was a dog I walked that would pull SO BADLY whenever she saw a squirrel and another dog that actually killed a possum, while he was on leash, with another walker. Might be good to know, especially if they happen to come into contact with a small dog.

You could have medical related warnings as well, such as for allergies, epilepsy, head tremors, collapsing trachea, etc

If you're walking the dog, why would urine marker be a behavior to watch out for? IME most dogs, and especially most male dogs, will mark on walks.

There could also be an additional notes section where walkers can add and read detailed observations about the dogs' behaviors. So in addition to a Reactive warning, they could read about the specific instances when the dog was being reactive, what it was reacting to, how it reacted, and any steps they took to control or work with the dog.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you @busannie for all the other ideas and things I forgot! Also this is just currently an idea that's not put into action yet but I *was* hoping to have the owners fill out a basic public profile that the owners and other dogs' owners who are walked with them could look at. Then we could have a more detailed private one for the walkers and employees that might have some...er, not complimentary information about the dogs that the owners might feel embarrassed about. Or just in denial about and/or they don't behave that way with their owners. So yes I'm painfully aware of how owners aren't always the best evaluators of their dogs' behavior!
@revolutionrocknroll Yes, prey drive is a good idea too. I was going to have a "health and medical" section separate from behavior, so yes I was definitely going to include things like that. Also, the marking is an issue because the dogs we walk are in a large apartment building, so it's not just like walking out the door. The trip we have to take to get out the door can take 10-15 minutes with the elevators, picking up other dogs and walking through the lobby. A dog that marks might pee in the elevator or on a decorative plant. The people who run the apartment can also sometimes get miffed if the dogs pee too much on a "walkway" or something that's outside.
@DriveDog I don't know if we would actually walk a bitch in heat. But if we did that might go into the medical section.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I find most owners to be pretty reliable if I emphasize that I'm looking out for the best interest of the dog, and that aggressive behaviors don't make a dog "bad". The big ones that I find super necessary to find out are

_ Intact (I really wanna know if a dog is going to smell another intact dog/bitch and go on a little walkabout to find some romance!)
_ Resource guarding (food, toys, people) from other dogs
_ Resource guarding (food, toys, people) from other humans
_ Is there ANY history of ANY sort of bite to a dog (I need to know this for the legal protection of the owner and the dog).
_Is there ANY history of ANY bite to a human (I need to know this for the legal protection of the owner and the dog).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.