Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I'm moving to Washington and there are a lot of breed restrictions for apartments. The common restrictions I see are pit bull, German shepherd, Doberman, Rottweiler, mastiff, Great Dane, chow chow, St. Bernard, stafordshire terrier, Akita, husky, and wolf hybrids.

Can you guys help me come up with a believable mix that he could be?

He's probably a little over 100lbs.
I know what he supposedly is, but I don't want to say quite yet.
Here are some pictures!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Great Dane mix with either German Shepherd or Malinois and something else? might have a bit of lab, those things are everywhere. Do you have a standing side picture of him?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I want to say dane/GSD/something.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
406 Posts
Unfortunately, everything I see in him is on the list of restricted breeds. Not so common breeds that he resembles that aren't on the list are Dutch Shepherd, Malinois and Greyhound. John Q Public most likely won't doubt it. Dog savvy people might, tho.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm aware that most breeds he resembles are restricted, which is my dilemma. haha.

Here are two more pictures of the side of him. He's about six months old in the one next to the beagle mix and probably a year old in the other one. Sorry I didn't have the exact kind of picture you were looking for!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about his breed than his size--a lot of apartments have weight restrictions very far under the 100 mark. That being said, I would say "great dane/plott hound".

·
Registered
669 Posts
Honestly, he looks like he has hefty amounts of German Shepherd, maybe a bully breed, possibly Great Dane given his face/size. Pretty much all dogs commonly found on restricted breed lists. Also, his size is likely to be a a concern for a lot of buildings. Given how much he looks like those breeds, I honestly don't know how much success you'd have with passing him off as something else. You could try saying Malinois/Plott Hound/Lab (lab always sounds good in a dog mix because they have a good reputation and plott hounds are a good way to explain some bully breed looks and color). In terms of the Malinois, though, I think any doubt or research into the breed by a landlord and they'd be likely to say 1) they're too similar to german shepherds or 2) be even less likely to want one because they are a more intense breed than GSD. Also, a lot of buildings want to see vet records with proof of health and, unfortunately, proof of breed or mix.

I'm also looking for an apartment (for school, so looking in several different states for different schools) and have found that for the buildings that pets are allowed there are often weight limits, a lot have restricted breed lists, and worst of all a lot will require a picture of the dog you're bringing and can veto it if they feel like you're lying about the mix. I did find one that was OK if the dog was less than 50% mix of banned breed (in which case you could say lab/plott hound/GSD).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help!
He is a german shepherd/boxer mix as far as I was told, by the people I rescued him from.
I'll probably go with a plott hound/malinois/lab mix.
I never thought of the plott hound, but I would believe it. I had the same concerns about the malinois, being so similar to a GSD.
I'm planning on sending videos of him, showing how great he is with dogs and children of all sizes that he's never met before.

And surprisingly, there aren't too many weight restrictions in Seattle area.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I really have to disagree with you @patronizingrabbits. BSL is a SERIOUS problem in many apartment buildings or home owners associations. Size is often a bigger blockade but even some that allow big dogs say no bully breeds, Chows, Rotties, GSDS, and some others as well.

I have to agree he looks like most of the banned breeds. If I had to eyeball him I would say GSD, Dane and a bully breed mix.

To get around all this, I would DEFINITELY say Plott Hound mix. Maybe throw some Lab in there too. He might very well have some Plott in him. And want to go exotic in your descriptions? He looks like a Thai Ridgeback (although I highly doubt he has that). However I'm not sure if even that would go into a "not a foreboding" sort of dog if they googled it. But really, he's a freaking mutt all around. Even if I agreed with BSLs it's not right to hold mixed breeds to those same standards.

Also if he can, maybe get a CGC certification. That can definitely help.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I would say he could be a Plott hound x Boxer, rather than German Shepherd x. but without the German Shepherd in him I don't know where the prick ears would come from, maybe Greyhound as some of them do have prick ears.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know this is kind of late, but has anybody mentioned Dutch Shepherd mix? Maybe Dutchie x Great Dane? Very handsome dog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts