Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I live alone and have 2 children that visit regularly. My home is in a small town, in-town lot with a nice size yard and close to lakes and walking trails. My home is small, only about 800 sq ft and I work full time so I am not home during the day. I am a somewhat active person.

I am looking for a puppy companion that will thrive with me. Preferably a medium size dog as I am not really into tiny dogs.

I would appreciate some suggestions as to what breed to consider!!

Thank you!

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you work full time I would suggest that you consider an older dog rather than a puppy. Almost any puppy will struggle with being left alone for long periods whereas an older dog would have two benefits; firstly you’d know their temperament and secondly if your work allows it, their behaviour is more likely to be calm enough to accompany you to work sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
669 Posts
House size can be important to some people when choosing a breed, but more important are things like preferred
- energy level (do you want a dog ready to get up and gogogo all the time, or one who has had their fill from walking out front to go to the bathroom)
- exercise requirements (are you up for a dog that needs training & walking to be relaxed, or want one that NEEDS at least 2 long walks a day, or one that just goes on walks for show and really is just as happy lounging in the house)
- attitude towards strangers (friendly? aloof? suspicious/guardy?)
- attitude towards dogs outside the household (do you want a breed known for its easy going nature with other dogs, do you not care, are you able to tolerate the possibility that your dogs wont like other dogs?)
- coat maintenance and type (what kind of upkeep are you willing to do in terms of brushing/hair cuts, and what kind of feel do you like to a dog's coat when you pet it, what kind of shedding can you stand, etc)
- prey drive towards other animals and what animals you have in the home
- behaviors you absolutely CANNOT tolerate from a dog

Answering those will better help match a breed. House size and dog general size doesn't give much information on which to go on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts