Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am currently thinking about switching my dog onto either Blue Buffalo Fish and Sweet Potato or Wellness Super5Mix Whitefish and Sweet Potato. I am trying to keep him off chicken and he has digestive problems on lamb. Both of these foods seem good, although Wellness has far fewer additional ingredients (like fruits, veggies, alfalfa, etc) the Blue has. I am also trying to put some weight on my dog, so I like the fact that the Blue has 40 more kcal per cup. However, it has chicken fat and I am not sure how much of an issue that could be if there are trace amounts of protein in the fat. Has anyone tried either of these foods for dogs with sensitive stomachs/allergies? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
What about Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon and Sweet Potato? It has fewer ingredients and does not contain the chicken fat. We are slightly concerned that our guy is mildly intolerant to chicken, so that's what we've been feeding him. He's done great on it :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)
If your dog is sensitive and you would like him on a fish formula with less ingredients, I would try Natural Balance LID.

Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon and Sweet Potato is also a good choice but it contains the fruits and veggies.

QuestsMom - You're to fast, lol!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the quick replies! I will look into the Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon. Another concern with the Wellness whitefish is barley; I know it has a lower glycemic index than brown rice, but brown rice has been the primary grain in every food I have had him on (and was in his foods with his previous owner). I'm not sure if I should try to stick with a food that has similar grains. Its just tough because I don't know what the food issue is (if it is even a food issue). I really want him to do well on this next food. I like that the BB Basics has rice, I just wish it were a little higher calorie...

·
Registered
636 Posts
How old is your dog and what are you currently feeding? What kind of digestive problems is your dog having as well?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is a 3 year old Golden Retriever. I adopted him about 10 months ago. He had been eating Verus chicken and rice, but started with some chewing issues a few months after I got him. He was on a chicken and rice food (Purina Pro Plan) with his old owner, but I wanted to put him on a better quality food. I recently switched him to Precise Sensicare Lamb and Rice; however, he has been on that food 100% for about 8 days ( I did do an 8 day transition as well) and it does not seem like he is doing well on it. He has been passing gas every day (never did when on chicken), burping, and his stool volume has increased (it is soft 50% of the time). It seems to me that he is not digesting the lamb well, which is why I'd like to try a different protein, but still avoid chicken.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, the only ingredients additional in the Verus chicken and rice I had him on that were not in the Pro Plan are chicory root, yucca schudigera, tomato pomace, alfalfa, and kelp. Not sure that any of those would have sparked chewing, especially since he had not been exposed to them very long before the chewing started.

·
Registered
636 Posts
IMO I would the Natural Balance LID. There are fewer ingredients than Blue Buffalo and they have a fish and a venison formula that you could try. Make sure you are doing a slow switch and with any food it takes about 1 month to see results :).

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hi all,
I am also trying to put some weight on my dog, so I like the fact that the Blue has 40 more kcal per cup. However, it has chicken fat and I am not sure how much of an issue that could be if there are trace amounts of protein in the fat. Has anyone tried either of these foods for dogs with sensitive stomachs/allergies? Any thoughts?
I have tried to switch back and forth between the Blue Basic and the Wellness simple grain free turkey. I like having a back up brand in case of recalls. There is also a bran called Pure Vita that is more like the blue and I dont see a change in my sensitive stomach hound when I switch between the blue and the pure vita but there is one with the wellness. I cant figure it out because the ingredients are almost identical. My dogs would not eat the fish and I dont think that I would keep them on it daily anyway because of the mercury in the fish.
FDA says 2x a week for humans the mercury builds up and becomes toxic. I follow the recommendation for my pups.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I'd stay away from the chicken fat. Personally I'd do Natural Balance LID salmon and sweet potato.

I remember looking at the wellness and I think it had another protein source that concerned me. I think it was pork fat or pork liver?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts