Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

During our Christmas vacation, our little Boston, Gus, went to a dog hotel for 3 nights. All his vaccines had to be up to date, and they already were, except for the kennel cough vaccine that we got him (the oral form at the vet's office) 5 days before he went to the hotel.

About 2 days after his stay, he started coughing and sneezing so we went to the vet and they said all his symptoms pointed out to kennel cough (and the fact that the vaccine might have been given too late, cuz it takes about 2 weeks for it to be fully functional).

We went home with cough suppressant medecine (so we all can sleep at night) + antibiotics (to treat the yellow mucus he was expelling) + Meloxicam cuz the vet said his trachea sounded like it wasn't widely open as it should be.

After 2 weeks of this treatment he seems much better and no more mucus, but the cough is now dry and occurs every time he goes outside, gets excited or shakes himself up. That dry cough lasts for as long as we're outside, or if it starts inside the house, lasts about 5 minutes every time). Just by telling that to the vet on the phone, he said that it sounded like tracheal collapse and that now I should start giving him anti-inflammatory steroids instead of metacam (for at least 3 weeks) + the cough medicine suppressant during the day instead of the night.

As you can see, I am not completely reassured with that diagnosis cuz it sound like it went from kennel cough to a completely different diagnosis. I'm pretty sure it was kennel cough in the first place (he even transmitted the disease to my other dog who, fortunately, only had a slight cough that lasted 3 days and is now completely fine). So it was viral.

Does it make sense that kennel cough "switches" to tracheal collapse after 2 weeks ?
And is the combination of steroids and cough suppressant medicine the recommended treatment in this situation?
Do you think I should go to another vet?

Thanks a lot for your help
Kim

·
Registered
579 Posts
It can happen, and yes to the treatment. The cough suppresent to help prevent more damage, and the steroids for the inflammation.

With that said, a second opinion if in doubt is a good measue. Especially since trachea collapse needs long-term management and other things like pneumonia can be on the table.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts