Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's 2 years old and I socialized her at a dog facility when growing up but now anytime I take her to the park or just to walk her she barks and bays anytime she sees another dog or person and it's scary to them because she's big but she really loves people and other dogs. How do I stop her from acting out so much? I have tried the "look" method with treats but she doesn't care about treats whenever she sees a new person or dog out.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Does she only do this on leash? She could be frustrated that she cant get to the people and dogs that she wants to see/meet. Don't forget that hounds are a pretty vocal dogs as well.
I would try to work on it in a place that's not so heavily populated with people and dogs if possible. There will be less distractions and it will hopefully be easier for her to focus on you.
It might help to teach a focus command, basicly your teaching her to make eye contact with you and focus on you (I think its similar to look, if look is what I'm thinking of). Start at home with no distractions, reward each time she makes eye contact and focuses on you. Then when she's really good at that you can build up to with more distractions and getting her to "focus" on you instead. Basicaly you want to making looking/focusing on you even better then what she wants to get to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts