Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents neighbor recently has a german shepard in their backyard. Their home is between two apartments. Mainly from my parents 4 unit 2 story building can see the back of the yard plus the other apartment MAYBE. But certainly my parents and upstairs can see their yard clearly. So we noticed a new dog barking coming from their yard perhaps a few days ago or so and noticed it was a german shepard. We can't recall exactly how long they have had this dog but it is very much recent. We didn't think much of it, its also not our business. But until today, I was in the kitchen and noticed from the window (which faces HIGHLY above their backyard, a rope/string moving that is tied to a small tree/branch in the yard. So I was curious to see what it was, to see if it was the dog from days before when I saw it for the first time (and didn't think much of it since then) I couldn't see the yard completely from that window so I went to a bedroom with a clear view of it. Saw that the poor dog was laying in the shade tied to a tree. Mind you it was in the mid 80's today somewhere here in California. Most of the yard was directly under the sunlight but he seem to have found the most shadiest part to lay under. This was around 11am. I thought wow poor dog its so hot out and I didn't see any water bowl set out for him at all! They blocked off the area with a small kennel so that the dog wouldn't cross the area; which he was able to with the generous amount of rope space they gave him (NOT). In the area yes he had no real shelter, only shade where they use to raise chickens (old chicken coupes) Poor baby was just laying there, I can tell there was probably no one home. No one who cared at least. There was a cardboard box laid on the ground where I saw a huge amount of dog big feces where he used the bathroom. I examined the area because I was concerned and felt awful for him. I kind of tried to go about my day since I am a caregiver for my parents, but it was weighing heavy on my mind the whole time... so I kept checking every hour through out the day to see if anyone would come home at some point to feed it water. So finally after checking several times around 4-5pm the dog was up and moving around. It looked kind of distressed. He seemed like he was looking for water. They have a small amount of gardening in their yard. So the dog was laying in dirt (where the shade was) but when he was moving around looking for water I noticed he went over to the cardboard area sniffing his feces and then peed. He then sniffed it, walked around sniffing some more and then back to his urine I actually saw him LICK IT! I thought is it because he's so damn thirsty that he was licking his own urine?! I googled it and it says that it is very much possible. Anyway I am so disheartened by this. How can someone just leave a dog out alone tied to a tree where he can accidentally choke or hang himself? Isn't it a safety hazard?! Its very cluttered back there also! I tried so hard not to think about it, but I couldn't help myself because I have two small dogs I love very much of my own. Poor dog started climbing over areas he was blocked off of. He even started eating some of the plants when he was laying down in the dirt, and by this time the sun was dying down so he had more moving room where there wasn't so much direct sunlight. It was still in the 80s though! So finally around 5-6 someone came out, I didn't get to see how the owner came out about but when I saw someone out there as to the next time I checked I saw the person stare at the dog, no smile, no pet on the head nothing. He just stared at the dog sternly as if he was telling the dog to calm down and sit because the dog was excited to see someone. I was peeking through the blinds and watching the whole time. The person the detangled the rope the dog was tied to and left the dog where he was at went back inside house and closed the door. A couple minutes later he brought out a big bowl of food. But I am guessing before I got to see the owner come out the first time that he already brought out a bowl of water? Im not sure. But its no where in my sight. Im hoping he wasn't cold hearted enough to bring him food out the second time and not the water. Maybe I just missed it. Or its placed out of my range to see. But for sure during the whole day that dog had no water because I saw the dog panting and in distress from being the heat all day. The owner went right back inside, shut the door and went about his evening. The dog finished eating and barked for someone to come out and play with him or to give it attention but no one came. Only a grandpa who came out to water the plants. My heart couldn't take it anymore so between 6:30pm and until 10pm I tried not to think about that poor dog. I was just relieved to see someone come out and at least feed him. I wanted to call animal patrol but I thought even if i did it anonymously they would be able to have an idea WHO called since there is only a few units that can clearly see their yard. I calmed myself down and thought maybe I should wait this out for a few more days and to see if the circumstances change. It pains me though. So it didn't end there, it got really dark and luckily it started cooling down. The dog is out there still right now in the dark. But out building has lights and it shines over to a small area very very dim though. Can barely see it since I can't see the dog myself at this time. 10pm came and I can heart the dog crying for attention. He was barking but no one came. He is such a good dog because he didn't bark for long. He's stopped for now. So I guess the whole point of this long story is, what should I do? I do not want to talk to them either. They don't seem that friendly. I also don't want them to know it was from someone here in our units calling animal services on them. But I just want them to take better care of the dog. Give it water and shelter. A dog cannot survive out there alone like that in that kind of heat, with NO WATER ALL DAY. This is a german shepard they need to be able to be active and roam. What should I do? I don't want any trouble...

Please I tried to describe everything here as much as possible I need advice... I can't stop thinking about the poor guy! :(

·
Banned
1,881 Posts
That's awful.

No, if U intend to help the dog, it's important to phone now -
it's already been "a few days" with limited access to water, & he could easily die of dehydration, or become so hot, he develops seizures - which will also likely kill him.
Any dog with a core temp over 103'F can seize, & seizures will spike core-temp, so it quickly causes multiple organ failure.

I don't understand why it could matter, if Animal Control knows what building U're in - U won't testify in court; the ACO who responds can see that the dog is in danger, & needs a vet exam, to ensure that he's not on the brink of collapse, then [most likely] confiscated.
These are major issues - full sun, hot temps, TIED so that the dog can strangle / rope kinks & shortens / he's trapped in clutter, but most of all NO WATER - which should be available 24/7, in a container that cannot possibly spill.
[A bowl won't work; the rope or chain can flip it over, leaving the dog waterless.]

The owner/s will most-likely be charged with animal cruelty, but the important thing isn't charges or fines - it's getting the dog into care, quickly.

If the possibility that U'll be identified worries U that much, phone from a pay-phone - but it should be ASAP, or the dog may be past all help. (Simply finding a working pay-phone may take too long to save the animal - they're rare.)
I think the urgency of the dog's plight trumps any worry about "who told", since the ACC doesn't release the names of Good Samaritans who alert them to neglect or cruelty; once they arrive on scene & see the state he's kept in, who phoned in the report is immaterial.

I hope he survives, without permanent damage - hyperthermia can cause brain damage. :(

- terry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well this is really bothering me, just heard the dog barking out there again. I guess no one wants to give me advice on here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much Terry! Ive been checking back to this thread frequently since I've posted. Its weighing on me a lot makes me very sad. I think I just wanted someone to hear me out and give me that push to do whats right. I hope I will remain anonymous pay phone or not. I think I will see how the night goes until the morning. I will call animal services. :( Its just not right. I don't understand how anyone can feel its okay to have a dog live in that condition; although I don't know if this is temporary, babysitting, a new dog, etc... still doesn't sit right at all! Thank you I appreciate you responding. You are the first and only so far. I needed that push/ reassurance...

·
Banned
1,881 Posts
Good on ya!

U're not over-reacting, if that's any help - it's definitely a life-threatening situation for the dog.
"Being nosy" has nothing to do with preventing suffering; no one has the right to abuse or neglect an animal, whether they own them or are temporarily caring for them. // If the dog does belong to someone else, i certainly hope they get him back none the worse for this horrible treatment.

- terry

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Please don't wait but call 911 or animal control immediately. This dog sounds very distressed and like it needs shelter and water immediately!!!

My friend/acquaintance has a beautiful purebred gsd and she obsessively drinks water like there's no tomorrow. He gives her everything she could possibly ever need and I've gone with them on many events since my dog absolutely LOVES this other dog. I'm not that thrilled with the other owner and the other dog is amazing but not trained well so a bit possessive but my dog just deals with her and they're very bonded so I put up with a lot of issues. If she gets too possessive with my pup he just snaps at her and is assertive but then runs away or to me. Somehow he's managed to be the only dog ever that she doesn't chase away from water bowls, her owner, or treats. She shares nicely with him, but attacks and hurts other dogs.
I'm still not completely sure if that's because I occasionally give her treats and am very firm that she can't mess with my dog at all, and to be fair, her owner is very firm that she can't attack my dog or any dog at all being protective. But my dog is also very assertive way before humans interfere and if she growls or bites him, he makes a nasty bitey snappy face right back, then runs since he will never actually fight a female dog.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Call animal control in your area! I'm less concerned about being tied to a tree (though there is a potential safety hazard) and more concerned no water or shelter. Laws everywhere call for minimum needs to be met, the dog isn't even getting that. Having piled up feces can also be considered neglectful and health hazard in many places.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.