Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15 y/o rescue, yellow lab/whippet mix, female. Have had her for 15 years, no health issues to date, About November had lump on right side of snout, vet had to extract molar and said that the gum had become necrotic. Cut away as much as he could. Antibiotics were working but ran out, lump came back more aggressively. Now is about the size of half a lime, started to let us try an massage it and was getting blood/clots/tissue like material (clear and gummy) out. we have gotten to the point where she will not let us manipulate, still have her on pain meds but starting to question. Last night after manipulation, she has been drooling blood and i have noticed her snot is bloody. We do a warm water/salt rinse after manipulation to try and clear any loose blood. Anyone have experience with this?? Vet says he will not cut out and says no one else will touch it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's an option we are considering, just curious to see if anyone had experienced this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Has the vet said what they think the root cause is? Is it a form of tumour, or could it be an abscess?

My 21-year-old cat had bloody snot which went with antibiotics, and then came back again. The vet thought he probably had a dental abscess but the cat was far too old and frail to go through surgery, so that wasn't an option. The next lot of antibiotics didn't really work and in the end we had to say goodbye to the cat. I'm sorry that's the last thing you want to hear, but sometimes your options do run out.

You've nothing to lose by seeking a second opinion, of course, and I do hope you can help her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He couldn't say yes or no to cancer, he did say that looking at the x-rays, if it were his dog, he would not think it was cancer. Second opinion is where I'm leaning but she is older and just really hoping it's something that can be fixed. Sorry for your loss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Hi, as others have suggested, I'd go see another vet. Hopefully it is not something serious but a second opinion doesn't hurt. In the mean time, try to keep it clean and keep your dog as comfortable as can be. Best of luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,183 Posts
I'll chime in with another suggestion that you get to a Vet that will diagnose it. You need accurate information, before you can even consider making any kind of decision regarding how aggressive a treatment you are willing to put her through. If she is in pain, a real possibility, you need to move sooner, rather than later.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top