Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want her to feel comfortable with being in my room, but she keeps hiding under the bed. So I put a pillow under there for her to rest on. And since she's having pups soon I don't want her to feel unsafe or stressed out about just coming in and going into her whelping box. She is very shy, and slowing warming up to me. What are some things that I can do/buy to help her feel more relaxed and comfortable?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
First off, how far along do you believe her to be? Many dogs will try to hide in dark places right before delivery.

Second, how long have you had this dog?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I found her in the streets about 3 weeks ago, I'm not too sure how far along she is but I'm going to guess maybe 1 month? Her belly isn't too big but when I touch it I can feel some small lumps. We already have an appointment with the vet for Friday morning.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I found her in the streets about 3 weeks ago, I'm not too sure how far along she is but I'm going to guess maybe 1 month? Her belly isn't too big but when I touch it I can feel some small lumps. We already have an appointment with the vet for Friday morning.
Good you have a vet appointment set. It's actually good that she isn't very far along as this will help give you time to gain her trust, which is very important.

What have you been doing so far to try and help her get comfortable with you?

·
Registered
61 Posts
First, I would take her to the vet as soon as possible.

And you might want to construct a whelping box. There are many tutorials and books on how to do this. Fill the whelping box with an old couch cushion (You don't want it to be too "cushy") Then cover it with lots of blankets for her to nest in.

Do you know what kind of dog it is?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well when she's outside I'll call to her and she'll come up to me all excited but if I go near her or walk toward her she gets scared and runs off or she'll hide under some boxes that I have outside. She loves to sit and sun bathe and curl up in this big chair that's outside and that's the only time she'll let me come near her and pet her or pick her up. She's never liked being inside (usually staying by the door), but it's starting to become progressively cold and rainy and I worry she'll get sick. Today I hand feed her some wet food as a treat and she came onto the bed with me and licked my face. But if I got up she jumped off the bed and hid under it until I laid back down. That's about it, up until now I've kind of left her alone as to not cause her too much stress.

·
Registered
61 Posts
First, I would take her to the vet as soon as possible.

And you might want to construct a whelping box. There are many tutorials and books on how to do this. Fill the whelping box with an old couch cushion (You don't want it to be too "cushy") Then cover it with lots of blankets for her to nest in.

Do you know what kind of dog it is?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm not sure what kind of dog she is, she looks like a mutt. Mixed with some type of terrier maybe? She is light brown with lots of wiry hair and beautiful eyes. I am taking her to the vet, unfortunately the earliest she can be seen is Friday. The vet here is always very busy :(

I want to buy her a dog house after the vet and take the top off and use that as a whelping box. I gave her one of my used, almost flat pillows. I hope thats good, I wrapped it in a towel too.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well when she's outside I'll call to her and she'll come up to me all excited but if I go near her or walk toward her she gets scared and runs off or she'll hide under some boxes that I have outside. She loves to sit and sun bathe and curl up in this big chair that's outside and that's the only time she'll let me come near her and pet her or pick her up. She's never liked being inside (usually staying by the door), but it's starting to become progressively cold and rainy and I worry she'll get sick. Today I hand feed her some wet food as a treat and she came onto the bed with me and licked my face. But if I got up she jumped off the bed and hid under it until I laid back down. That's about it, up until now I've kind of left her alone as to not cause her too much stress.
That does make it somewhat difficult. I agree that she cannot stay outside, especially once the pups are born. It sounds like you need to really start working on getting her to associate you with good things, and since she seems to like food, that might be a good place to start. Since she responded so well when you gave her treats, I think it would be good to just carry treats around and every time you see her, offer a small treat. After a while of that, she will come running every time she sees you. After you get it to the point were she comes when she sees you instead of running, then you can start to only occasionally feed treats and start just loving on her instead.

I'm not sure what kind of dog she is, she looks like a mutt. Mixed with some type of terrier maybe? She is light brown with lots of wiry hair and beautiful eyes. I am taking her to the vet, unfortunately the earliest she can be seen is Friday. The vet here is always very busy :(

I want to buy her a dog house after the vet and take the top off and use that as a whelping box. I gave her one of my used, almost flat pillows. I hope thats good, I wrapped it in a towel too.
If you can post a photo of her that would be helpful. :)

That would probably work quite well, though if she's small a cardboard box, large storage box, etc. Could work very well too. That sounds very good to me, just need to work on getting her comfortable with her whelping box location so she will be okay there when giving birth.

http://www.dogforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts