Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was forced to get my yorkipoo 2 weeks early because the breeder lied to me about their birthday over text and said it must have been a typo or something -.- She was not willing to work with me at all and I had to take my sweet puppy at such a young age! I'm so scared for him that I'm not going to do a good job! I just picked him up today.

I know a lot about dogs, but i'm scared of the information I don't know about 6 week old puppies. Please let me know any tips or if I'm doing anything wrong or could be doing something better. It breaks my heart that he can't be with his mother but I'm going to do my best to do right by him!

Right now I got some goats milk(the kind for dogs) and soft food because he doesn't have his bottom teeth in yet. I give him a few licks of goats milk every few hours and I've fed him three times today. I know I can't expect him to hold his potty for a few more weeks and I'm okay with that. My problem is this: He is so tiny and gets so COLD. I take him outside for not even a minuet and the poor thing is shivering all over. He is even cold when he walks around the little area I have for him inside. His little back legs shake and its so sad! The only time he isn't shivering is when he is with me or sleeping in his crate. I don't know if I should leave him in his area over night or just bring his crate in bed with me so he can feel some of my body heat. and I don't know how I'm gonna support the idea of potty training when I can't take him outside for very long at all. Is puppy pads the only way? because I dislike them a lot.

Do yall have any tips for me? I'm going to get a little sweater for him tomorrow and continue to watch my GSD around him until she learns to stop pushing him over with her snout or paw. and I'm going to see how he does in the kitchen in his little play area with a puppy pad and a bunch of blankets and shirts of mine. I just feel so bad that he can't be with him mama and siblings.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If he's six weeks old he's capable of being weaned and shouldn't need milk. Report the breeder if you're in the united states, as that's illegal. Do you have any available puppy classes he can go to/nearby people with puppies so he can get some playtime in with his own age group?

You can get a low level heating pad or a warm water bottle for nighttime snuggling perhaps. Try to make a space outside that's out of the wind for him to go. He's a bit small now but ... well, housebreaking puppies in winter is never fun for anyone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh believe me, after I had the puppy in my hands she had an earful from me! She just wanted to get her puppies out so she could call them christmas puppies, she didn't care what that would mean for the sweet babies!

But thats a good Idea, I have a heating pad and I'll put it on low on half of his crate so this if its too much he can move off of it. Should I just go ahead and try to start crate training him instead of leaving his crate open in his pen in the kitchen?

I am going to take him to the vet on monday (they are closed on sundays) and get him checked out, he seems to have fleas as well. He's only 6 weeks and won't be able to get the shots needed that protect him from sicknesses from other dogs so I don't know about finding other dogs for him to play with would be smart? I don't know any dogs his size or age he could play with :(

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Make sure you put a blanket in between the puppy and the pad, I've seen so many get after burns (don't show for a few days) because they've been placed directly on heating pads.

He can be around other dogs that are up to date on vaccines, just don't take him to any parks, pet shops, etc. If you know large dogs, and know that they are well behaved, adjusted, and have been around small dogs before, I see no reason not to socialize with them - pending the vet check proves he's healthy and you get the flea issue under control, so I would wait until you get the all clear. Nothing worse then spreading something to a friend's dog.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only heating Pad I have is broken and only works on High so I didn't use it last night. I used a hot waterbottle in a blanket in his crate and he snuggled right up to it! I'm going to buy a sweater right when petsmart opens for the poor thing. I'm worried because he hasn't pooped yet, and its been almost a full day. Should I take him to the vet at petsmart because mine isn't open on sundays? or just wait till monday to get him checked about the fleas, deworming, shots and ask about him not pooping?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just his front bottom teeth haven't come in yet, his lower canines and the teeth behind those are in. So if he bites my finger straight on its just gum on the bottom and sharp puppy top teeth, but if he bites me on either side of his mouth its sharp puppy teeth on both top and bottom. Ouch! haha.

So I could give him hard food softened a little bit in water or goats milk but I still wanna wait a few days while I mix his old wet food with mine which is much better quality. I will start putting a little bit of soft kibble in there maybe in 2 or so days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts