Dog Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,954 Posts
The first suggestions are to get rid of the shock collar and the prong collar. That could well be why she is leash aggressive, she associates the leash with the pain. There is no need for these tools in training.

I suggest the next thing is to look into resource guarding. The growling at the cat, the peanut butter toys and growling at you when you put your hand near her food, indicates she is concerned that it might be taken or eaten. That’s a normal instinct, animals are hard wired not to share food as their survival could depend on it, but your first step needs to be making her feel more secure around food so this doesn’t drift into guarding behaviours with other things. So put her food down and leave her alone - not you, not the cat, nobody. The food is hers and she needs to be able to eat it in peace.

We have an information thread here on resource guarding that you will find helpful, and I strongly recommend the book ‘Mine!‘ by Jean Donaldson.

I will let others take over with the dog / cat relationship, I don’t have a cat AND I do have a terrier, so I’m not well placed to advise - @LMMB? Again though, there is information here -

Regarding pulling, all animals have an instinct to pull against restraints, but a prong collar is not the answer. Good leash manners need training, not tools and especially not aversive tools. We have some great resources here -

For chasing vehicles, my suggestion would be to get her focus on you. It may be that chasing things is more fun, so you need to be yet more fun than that; or it may be teenage sillies but either way, teaching her to focus on you will help a lot. So, on the basis that engaging with you is the foundation to all the training you will do with her (you can’t even begin to train if your dog isn’t engaged with you and her attention isn’t on you) I recommend you start rewarding all engagement with you. If she looks at you, mark that with a sound like ‘yes’ or ’good girl’ or a clicker if you use one, and reward. That starts reinforcing your position as the source of all good things. And should result in her checking in with you more. Then, start working on a ‘watch me’ that you can use to get her focus when she is tempted to chase things. Start by holding a treat near your eyes. When your dog looks at the treat, and by extension, you; mark with your sound marker and reward with the treat. Then, move on to holding your hand near your eyes and a treat in your other hand. When your dog looks at your face, mark and reward from your other hand. From there, move on to pointing to your face and rewarding the look, then you can start putting a verbal cue to it, like ‘watch me’ or whatever else you choose. Do all the training somewhere without distractions like in your home.

When this is reliable you can start using it outside when your dog would like to chase, this will change her focus to you instead. You would probably find it easier when the vehicles etc are at a distance and work up to doing it with them closer.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts