Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have joined this forum as I have recently began to look more critically at the care I was giving my dogs especially their diet and found it was not the best. As in, rated one star kibble. I was raised to believe if they ate it, it was good. So after a bit of research I decided to switch and my dogs are currently eating their old food mixed with Taste of the Wild and I mix some TOTW wet food in with their dry every other day or so. I am working to get them on a feeding schedule as wewell instead of just free feeding. My three dogs are Mia (Pit mix), Luna (Shi Tzu) and Abby (Large fluffy puppy). We like to go on frequent hikes on the trail down the road. Mia is going to be starting canicross and bikejoring, she currently runs alongside my bike on a bike arm contraption. Thanks for listening to my rant, I'm glad to be here :)

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm only saying this bc I care, usually I don't like to bring this up bc it's a ruff subject for me. BUT PPPPPPLLLLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSEEE say away from taste of the wild! They had a lawsuit a few years back. I lost my dog to their food, and was involved in the settlement. There was harsh chemicals in the food that killed out dog within days. They didn't respond to customers contacting them of this and so we formed a group and started the lawsuit and now they also have another one stated for 2019 bc they didn't fix the problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm only saying this bc I care, usually I don't like to bring this up bc it's a ruff subject for me. BUT PPPPPPLLLLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSEEE say away from taste of the wild! They had a lawsuit a few years back. I lost my dog to their food, and was involved in the settlement. There was harsh chemicals in the food that killed out dog within days. They didn't respond to customers contacting them of this and so we formed a group and started the lawsuit and now they also have another one stated for 2019 bc they didn't fix the problems.
I had no idea! Everything I'd read suggested it was a good food. I'm not sure what'll I'll go to now. Could you suggest any other good foods within that price range?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is raw food safe? I've heard great things about it but have no idea on price, convience, or the actual safeness of the diet. I've also heard that vets don't exactly reccomened it, and I might have a hard time convincing my mom to switch the dogs over. If not raw, what about homemade? The idea of recalls and such worries me a bit now so I thought I'd ask about these options.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is raw food safe? I've heard great things about it but have no idea on price, convience, or the actual safeness of the diet. I've also heard that vets don't exactly reccomened it, and I might have a hard time convincing my mom to switch the dogs over. If not raw, what about homemade? The idea of recalls and such worries me a bit now so I thought I'd ask about these options.
Is it just the dry food or is it the canned as well?

·
Super Moderator
1,649 Posts
Raw food is safe, and very popular. Your mix needs to be 80% muscle, 10% organ and 10% bone but you don't have to be exact every day, it can be balanced out over a week or two.

It's recommended to freeze for 24 hours before you feed because some fish carry a parasite, and there is a small risk of cross contamination from a bacteria in meat, I forget which one but can find it if you are interested.

There are also ready made raw packs that you can buy if you are unsure of trying it yourself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Raw food is safe, and very popular. Your mix needs to be 80% muscle, 10% organ and 10% bone but you don't have to be exact every day, it can be balanced out over a week or two.

It's recommended to freeze for 24 hours before you feed because some fish carry a parasite, and there is a small risk of cross contamination from a bacteria in meat, I forget which one but can find it if you are interested.

There are also ready made raw packs that you can buy if you are unsure of trying it yourself.
Thats helpful! I've been browsing some content today relating to raw diets and it seems it could be cheaper than some premium dog food if I go about it correctly. I could also get venison/ "trash" parts from deer people are skinning. Can you use deer heart/liver or is it only smaller animal organs that are okay? I could also get fish as I live a few blocks from a state park where it's legal to fish, though I'd have to get a fishing licence. Could the dogs eat the whole fish or must it be cleaned and sliced into filets? Would you be able to recommend any good reading/sorces of information for me to read up on? I'd hate to do this wrong, so I'd like to be as informed as possible. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,649 Posts
You absolutely can use venison, but I'm glad you mentioned the heart because it is actually a muscle rather than an organ. And 5% of the organ meat should be liver, the other 5% should be other secreting organ.

I would personally clean the fish but I wouldn't bother to fillet it. Although I do know people who do just feed the whole thing - or sort of; their dog catches the fish, I don't know if he needs a license ...

Not sure about recommended reading but a friend rates this very highly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You absolutely can use venison, but I'm glad you mentioned the heart because it is actually a muscle rather than an organ. And 5% of the organ meat should be liver, the other 5% should be other secreting organ.

I would personally clean the fish but I wouldn't bother to fillet it. Although I do know people who do just feed the whole thing - or sort of; their dog catches the fish, I don't know if he needs a license ...

Not sure about recommended reading but a friend rates this very highly.

What would count as organ meats? Sorry if it sounds like an ignorant question, I've never looked for organ meat here and I want to be sure I can find the right stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brain, lungs and kidney :)
Is it okay to feed kibble and raw? Not on the same day but like, raw once a week raw and the other days kibble? It would be easier to convince my mom that way than "cold turkey". Compromise usually works best to start with :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
My dog has pre made raw bought from pet shop. I rotate through different flavours. He has lamb, beef, kangaroo, venison, rabbit, turkey. The venison has in order
Venison, finely ground venison bone and cartilage, whole fish(salmon and sardines), lamb heart, lamb liver, lamb kidney, kale, broccoli, silver beet, carrots, beetrot, lettuce, cucumber, capsucum, apple, pear, tomato, strawberry, ginger, parsley, wheatgrass, kelp, cold pressed ground flaxseed, alfalfa, brewers yeast, whole egg, tumeric, herb robert, gotu kola, jiaogulan, nettle, garlic, live probiotics, prebiotics, coconut oil

·
Super Moderator
1,649 Posts
Is it okay to feed kibble and raw? Not on the same day but like, raw once a week raw and the other days kibble? It would be easier to convince my mom that way than "cold turkey". Compromise usually works best to start with :)
There are people who say yes, others who say no. It's to do with the speed at which each is digested. I feed both, although more for convenience. I travel a lot and when we are out of the UK it isn't always easy to get raw.

There are some dry foods that are developed specifically to be fed alongside raw, look for cold pressed foods. I don't know if you get this one in the US.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm only saying this bc I care, usually I don't like to bring this up bc it's a ruff subject for me. BUT PPPPPPLLLLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSEEE say away from taste of the wild! They had a lawsuit a few years back. I lost my dog to their food, and was involved in the
settlement. There was harsh chemicals in the food that killed out dog within days. They didn't respond to customers contacting them of this and so we formed a group and started the lawsuit and now they also have another one stated for 2019 bc they didn't fix the problems.
Omgosh REALLY??😲 I thought that was expensive and good dog food.. I'm so sorry for your loss also.. Thank u so much!! I was thinking of buying that for my dogs to..
Thank u again!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts