Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from London! I wanted to get somebody advice from current dog owners! I have always had dogs in my life (dad has golden lab and mum has yorkie-poo) so I am a huge dog lover! I'm currently transitioning from MA student into working full time and have been interested in adopting a dog from Dogs trust for a long long time.
I wanted to know how you guys do it- Working and having a dog? Many people have told me I'm insane for wanting an animal in my life, but I truly feel I could offer a rescue a new chance.
I would love comments on things people do to make sure their pet is happy whilst they work and if they think it's possible?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hello from London! I wanted to get somebody advice from current dog owners! I have always had dogs in my life (dad has golden lab and mum has yorkie-poo) so I am a huge dog lover! I'm currently transitioning from MA student into working full time and have been interested in adopting a dog from Dogs trust for a long long time.
I wanted to know how you guys do it- Working and having a dog? Many people have told me I'm insane for wanting an animal in my life, but I truly feel I could offer a rescue a new chance.
I would love comments on things people do to make sure their pet is happy whilst they work and if they think it's possible?

Thanks all!
Hi Josie
Welcome to the forum. Nice to hear from someone from the old home town :thumbsup:

First question - What sort of accommodation do you have and where? Is there a garden or a park nearby? Will you be close enough to go home and take it out in your lunch break? Dog rescues can be very picky about the kind of home they will allow a dog to go to. When I was involved with dog rescue here I sent a couple of dogs to England because the new owners were unable to find one from a rescue, because they didn't have gardens.

There are all sorts of considerations, and without knowing more it is impossible to make any constructive suggestions. But good on you for wanting to rescue a dog. Some have baggage that can cause problems, but I think once they settle most of them are so grateful for a good home they will try their best to be the dog you want and give so much love in return.

Regards

Lynsey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Josie
Welcome to the forum. Nice to hear from someone from the old home town

First question - What sort of accommodation do you have and where? Is there a garden or a park nearby? Will you be close enough to go home and take it out in your lunch break? Dog rescues can be very picky about the kind of home they will allow a dog to go to. When I was involved with dog rescue here I sent a couple of dogs to England because the new owners were unable to find one from a rescue, because they didn't have gardens.

There are all sorts of considerations, and without knowing more it is impossible to make any constructive suggestions. But good on you for wanting to rescue a dog. Some have baggage that can cause problems, but I think once they settle most of them are so grateful for a good home they will try their best to be the dog you want and give so much love in return.

Regards

Lynsey[/QUOTE]

Hello Lynsey,

Thanks for your reply! Well I live in London Bridge/Bermondsey which is rather green (lots of parks, dog friendly areas and in my current flat I do have a garden too)
I'll be working in the Arts so start later (10am) which works well and luckily live with my student sister who is frequently at home. Hopefully I will also be based in London Bridge.
Yes I agree I think adopting a rescue will be really rewarding and like you said once they've settled in and know that they are at home for good I have no doubt they'll feel better.
I am abit worried like you said in terms of being able to adopt since living in central London does tend to put people off.
I know a lot of people do doggy day care things too but I'm not sure- has anyone tried this, is it a good idea? I'm thinking specifically for adopted dogs as most aren't always confident around other dogs.

Thanks!
Josie

·
Registered
478 Posts
Is the garden enclosed so that you could leave a door open for the dog to go in and out? Bit dodgy I suppose, but I always did that, taking the view that to a potential intruder it would look as though someone was home, and if they were determined to get in they would just cause damage and do it anyway. But if your sister is home enough maybe it wouldn't be necessary. I'm just thinking of mess in the house if the dog is left alone for any length of time and needs the toilet.

Do you know your neighbours? A retired person might be willing to come in and walk the dog, or even just sit with it for a couple of hours company.

I think an older dog could well settle with you. If the dog rescues won't help you could try looking out for private re-homings, or even breed rescues, although I think most of them have long waiting lists. They tend to be less fussy (fussy is not really the right word but I can't think of the word I'm looking for - early dementia lol) and leave it to the dog's owner to decide whether you are suitable. That's much better in one way because the previous owner is in the best position to know how the dog behaves in the home, but maybe not so good in another way because they may not mention that they are rehoming the dog because of serious behavioural problems. But there are no guarantees when you take a dog into your home. At least you have experience with dogs so hopefully you could cope if it's not a complete psycho - but I suspect that would show up pretty quickly :)

Good luck with this and let us know how it goes - I would so love to hear of another dog finding a good home and that you have the companion you want

Lynsey :thumbsup:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Have you visited the Battersea Animal Shelter site? The dogs listed there have detailed descriptions, including a statement as to whether they would do well in the city. If you haven't already done so, you might want to visit and talk to the staff about the rehoming process and whether your current location and schedule is suitable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I adopted my boy over a year ago (he's an adult dog), and I work and go to school full time. He gets plenty of lovins and care. I would definitely advise against a puppy, however. They require too much attention, which you may not be unable to give properly given your schedule.

Also, I understand your apprehension of how the dog may act towards other dogs. I encourage you to remember that adult dogs are not always wired -- there is still hope. When I first adopted Nashi, he did not like people or dogs. Now, he loves both! It just requires patience and a whole lot of love.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts