Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum. My boyfriend and I have noticed a disturbing trend in our area. It seems as if people are abandoning their pets in our wooded, rural neighborhood. There are not many houses around here, mostly just farms and thick woods. Over the last two years we have fostered several dogs and cats. Last month we woke to a 75lb Alaskan Malamute sleeping on the porch and have since taken her into our family.
Two days ago we rescued a chihuahua mother and her pup from the side of the road which has been heartbreaking. We have the means and the love to care for these little dudes but since most of the animals we encounter seem to come from unhealthy/abusive homes, we decided to join this site so we could learn from those who have more experience

We look forward to learning and meeting you all,
Rebecca and Jessie

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Welcome and thank you for opening your hearts and your home to these poor lost souls. It's become quite the epidemic in a lot of places with the economy being what it is. There are a lot of people who just don't have the means or the resources to deal with their pets anymore, so....off to the woods they go. Looking forward to getting to know you and your furry family!

Reactions: Grabby

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Welcome. A lot of people assume if there is a farm has plenty of room and the families will just take them in.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Welcome and thanks for taking in the dumped dogs you're encountering. It's a problem around here too.

I live in a subdivision that backs up to open pasture. My drive to work is through semi rural areas. I probably pick up between 6-10 dogs a year. Obviously, I can't keep them all and finding a no kill shelter or rescue to take isn't always possible. Our area has a huge problem with unwanted animals and the shelters stay full. The local rescues always have their hands full. I have been able to find somewhere for many of the dogs but some I end up having to take to our local Animal Control. They may be euthanized but I think that's better than dying of hunger, being hit by a car or killed by coyotes.

Yeah, many people dump dogs in the country because they assume some kindly farmer will take it in. My friends who farm are left with the sad task of dealing with these dogs. They normally shoot the dogs because they don't want them harassing their livestock.

·
Registered
43 Posts
to both of you for opening your home. Rescue is our favorite breed of any animal. I read about your Chihuahuas, hope all goes well at the vets:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's nice to hear from someone who seems as adamant as I am about abuse to animals. Abandonment is a cowards way out of responsibility. Dogs have more feelings than most people will ever acknowledge. They only want to survive and if they get treated with love and respect, that's a bonus for them. There are societies and rescue's that will take care of an unwanted pet. Why make the animal suffer? I compliment you for your concern in this matter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts