Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 3 month old Cocker Spaniel, the first dog I have owned myself. I am thrilled about him but have to say I never realised how exhausting it would be!! I have so many questions but will look through all the threads, but if anyone can let me know when it should all start to calm down I would be immensely grateful!!!! Spangles Mum!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a puppy too
It is exhausting!
I have read that things calm down around 6 months old if you are diligent with the housetraining etc
Hang in there!

·
Banned
283 Posts
Hi everyone, I have a 3 month old Cocker Spaniel, the first dog I have owned myself. I am thrilled about him but have to say I never realised how exhausting it would be!! I have so many questions but will look through all the threads, but if anyone can let me know when it should all start to calm down I would be immensely grateful!!!! Spangles Mum!
Although I was brought up around dogs I'm in no way an expert.
The one piece of advice I can offer is to make sure that he gets plenty of exercise.
Yes, it can be exhausting but that's part of the committment you need to make.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for that, we walk him about 3 times a day, tends to be 30 mins in the morning and then 20 mins at lunch and again in the evening. We were told he should only walk for 10 -15 mins a day but that is just not enough for him. We don't let him run, he is walking on a lead all the time. We love the walking with him so that is not a problem. He also plays in the garden at various parts of the day, he has free access to it. When he gets a bit snappy we have been putting him in his crate for time out. He seems to know the difference between when the crate door is closed (discipline) and when it is open (place of safety and sleep). He tends to go manic between 6 and 8 in the evening and this is the difficult time when he is quite naughty and gets very snappy and sometimes a little aggressive.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hi, thanks for that, we walk him about 3 times a day, tends to be 30 mins in the morning and then 20 mins at lunch and again in the evening. We were told he should only walk for 10 -15 mins a day but that is just not enough for him. We don't let him run, he is walking on a lead all the time. We love the walking with him so that is not a problem. He also plays in the garden at various parts of the day, he has free access to it. When he gets a bit snappy we have been putting him in his crate for time out. He seems to know the difference between when the crate door is closed (discipline) and when it is open (place of safety and sleep). He tends to go manic between 6 and 8 in the evening and this is the difficult time when he is quite naughty and gets very snappy and sometimes a little aggressive.
Who told you that your dog should only walk for 10 to 15 minutes per day? I've never heard of that. Why can't he run?

We have a 1 year old Yorkie and a 4 month old Morkie and for some reason, they too seem to be rowdy during those times in the evening, so we try to spend quality time with them in games, walks, etc. that are more supervised than when they are calmer.

Love to see pictures of your pup!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts