Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.

In a few weeks I'll be the proud mom of a male Shorkie. I came across this forum, after doing some research on Shorkies. I'm a single mom to three kids ranging from 5 years old to 12 years old. This will be our first dog. What are the key factors that I'll need to know? Also, would you recommend pet insurance? If so, do you use pet insurance? If so, what are the pros and cons of that particular pet insurance? Currently, I'm leaning towards Benfield and Healthypaws Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Welcome to DF! :)

Shorkie is a Yorkie x ??? haha

I actually was thinking about insurance as well when I first got my girl. I decided instead to just put $10/week (more if I can) away. That leaves me with a nice safety net if I need it. If anything were to happen you could also apply for a Care Credit for the costs.

Insurance plans are great, but they can be pretty pricey.

In my mind, it's really personal preference. Hopefully, someone on here has one and they can really break it down for you. I'm interested in the replies as well!

I have this savings account that I contribute to and every couple of months, I still consider getting the insurance haha.

·
Registered
151 Posts
1) House training doesn't happen overnight, expect to wake up or be woken in the night to take the puppy out to pee/poop. During the day, take him out every 15-20 minutes and immediately after he eats or drinks.

2) If you're using a crate - expect crying and barking until he gets used to it, do not use the crate to punish, it's best if the crate is associated with positive experiences so puppy can feel comfortable in it. Look up "Crate Games".

3) Expect to be bitten - Redirect puppy to toys. If puppy is too excited and won't take to the toys, leave the room for 1 minute and then come back and re-engage with a game using the toys. Reward with silent treats (just walk by and drop them) if you catch puppy chewing items that are *his* to encourage the good behavior.

As far as pet insurance goes - I do not have it, but I would absolutely recommend it. I know that may sound backward or hypocritical because *I* don't have it - but there have been many occasions where pet insurance would have really come in handy in the welfare of my pets. My dog has cancer which required surgery and he'll need to have another one - and one of my cats is going in for surgery on the 9th too. Both of these costs were a bit of a blow to our budget and pet insurance would have been extremely helpful.

Like @Aspen726 - I too put money into a "To The Pets" jar every month, but with a multi-pet household I find that sometimes our savings are used for one pet and then suddenly we are informed of a problem with another and we're still in a position where our budget gets blown up.

I don't own a credit card either, but I've considered getting one that would be dedicated solely to veterinary costs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.