Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm Jason, I'm a foreigner living and working in Japan. I've been a dog owner for most of my life and have more than 25 years of dog handling, training, and care experience under my belt. Sadly there's been a ten year gap in that, as most apartments I lived in out here didn't allow pets.

I now own my own house and plot of land in the countryside and am looking to start a dog training company in my area. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!

Again, very nice to meet you all!

- Jason
Daisuki-Wanko

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck, is there anything in particular you are looking for tips on?
Thank you kindly!
It would be great if I could get some references for books for studying the CPDT-KA test. I tried looking up generic terms online and on Amazon, but want sure which ones were reliable as none of the books specifically mentioned that test in the description.

Other than that, perhaps some tips on pitfalls to look out for as a trainer would also be appreciated.

· Super Moderator
8,487 Posts
I guess, looking at it from a business perspective, you would want to start by playing to your strengths. In business you would normally start with a product or service you have and look for a market - trying to launch something that is new to you, to a market you don't already have, is very hard.

So are you planning on offering specific training, like puppy classes, or basic obedience, or sports / hobby training (scentwork, flyball, HTM)? And from there identify your skills and your skill gaps.

Once you have established a market, you could start offering new services to that market, but that strategy needs you to have created a client base and some credibility first.

We have a book list here, don't be put off by the date; that's when the thread was started but it has been updated over the years. Comprehensive Book List

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much!

I plan to offer basic and advanced obedience and behavioral training for dogs ranging from puppies up to 8 years old. I found that after 8 years old, a routine is already set and it's far more difficult and time consuming to retain them. After I get established and more comfortable with retraining, I'll probably up the age limit.

I also plan to offer basic handling classes for owners to take with their dogs (primarily for first time dog owners), things such as properly giving commands, leading, leashing, grooming, etc. I've got almost all of the details written out in a business plan.

Thank you for the link to the books. I'll peruse the library over lunch break!

Thanks again!

I guess, looking at it from a business perspective, you would want to start by playing to your strengths. In business you would normally start with a product or service you have and look for a market - trying to launch something that is new to you, to a market you don't already have, is very hard.

So are you planning on offering specific training, like puppy classes, or basic obedience, or sports / hobby training (scentwork, flyball, HTM)? And from there identify your skills and your skill gaps.

Once you have established a market, you could start offering new services to that market, but that strategy needs you to have created a client base and some credibility first.

We have a book list here, don't be put off by the date; that's when the thread was started but it has been updated over the years. Comprehensive Book List

· Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone!

I'm Jason, I'm a foreigner living and working in Japan. I've been a dog owner for most of my life and have more than 25 years of dog handling, training, and care experience under my belt. Sadly there's been a ten year gap in that, as most apartments I lived in out here didn't allow pets.

I now own my own house and plot of land in the countryside and am looking to start a dog training company in my area. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!

Again, very nice to meet you all!

- Jason
Daisuki-Wanko
As you say you have more than 25 years of experience in dog training. so my question is you have prepared yourself or you did do any course for that?

· Registered
301 Posts
Currently studying for the CPDT-KA which I hope to achieve sometime next year! Finding certifications offered in English is obviously kind of difficult here in Japan... So it was a HUGE blessing when I found out that they offer online proctored tests!
Hi, I just took the CPDT-KA in September (also proctored online, it was quite an adventure!). While all the suggested books are worth taking a look at, the one that the test really heavily draws from is "Coaching People to Train Their Dogs" by Terry Ryan. Definitely get that one. Tawzer Dog also has a recording of her seminar on this topic which might be worth a look, but the book is better.

I didn't take the practice tests, but people say it might be worth it.

There are some free user made online flashcards and quizzes that can give you a pretty good idea of the questions. Like this: https://quizlet.com/24509798/cpdt-test-study-flash-cards/ Just keep in mind that these are not official materials, just made by normal people for their personal use, and use your critical thinking. But I found them super useful.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts