Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I love my new puppy! she is fun and a quick learner. I got her at 10weeks and have had her a week

She knows sit!

some advice please:
1)I have started taking her on the lead around the block but she pulls away from me in excitment. should i start as i mean to go on and starting traingin her heel and if so how?

2) She steals things like socks and when i approach her she runs a hides as she know i will take them off her - how do i begin to trained her not to?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If she steals something, make it into a game where she chases you rather than the other way round. Reward her with more play when you take it away.

Loose leash walking is difficult, she's young and wants to explore. I'd join a puppy class for that one.

·
Registered
434 Posts
In regards to walking, I know it's most effective to train early on, but at the same time I personally think dogs need freedom to just be a dog. As long as my dog walks with me without pulling me I don't care if she wanders a bit to smell and explore the world she gets to see. I went through different leash lengths with my puppy. At one time I had a 2 foot leash because I thought she should heel and be "proper". I had other leash lengths too, but now I mostly use an 8' leash that also has a handle at 2'. She gets to wander a bit, but when I need to keep her closer I'm also able to do that.

I also recommend taking her to the free puppy socialization "classes" they have at Petco every Saturday and Sunday. Make sure your puppy has her shots first. Socializing a puppy is very important. It helps so they're comfortable and know how to behave around other dogs and they get exposed to a lot of people. If they're kept away from other dogs then they can get fearful and aggressive.

Check with your vet about the kind of food you should give her. Make sure to have regular checkups and become familiar with what is normal for her so if something is different you notice it.

Congrats on your puppy.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would ask your vet if it's safe to walk your dog at this age. There can be a risk to catch diseases before they are fully vaccinated (which is typically at 16 weeks). My vet said that the only exception is to attend puppy classes, both for training and socialization.

For the stealing sock thing... some dogs never really outgrow it. I'd work on 'drop it' and trading it for something acceptable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts