Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Heidi is seriously the dog that is making me age 5 years a day.

So yesterday, she would not eat breakfast. She looked at it, looked at me, and went to lay down. During my first training session of the day with Levi, she was very interested so I worked with her as well and got some treats, which she tooks readily. She then went on to eat lunch and dinner with no problems.

This morning she again wouldn't eat breakfast. I figured same as yesterday, and maybe she just doesn't like eating that early (we are up between 5:30 - 6). During our training session, she was not very engaged, and wasn't interested in my treats, but was happy to accept a toy/tugging session as a reward. Went to feed her lunch, and she wasn't having any of it. I was able to get her to eat two chicken necks, but she wasn't very pumped about those either.

I take them outside and I find two piles of vomit that look like Heidi's lunch and dinner from yesterday, so she has had fairly limited food in the past 24 hours. Other than the lack of eating, she is drinking, fairly chilled out, and very lovey-dovey - which is SO out of character for her.

I've been checking for blood spots (none), she isn't really licking herself any more than usual, Levi is not interested at all. I don't know if I should take her to the vet or not. She's currently happy as a clam wrestling with Levi over an antler.

/stressed

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think consulting to a vet is necessary if this continues, She does seem like there may be a underlying health problem, so keep a close eye on her, also has she eaten something strange or different recently?

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing different. Same food, same treats, same schedule.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would just keep an eye on her. She could just be feeling under the weather. My parents dog came down with a mild virus and was just a bit "meh" for a couple days. Wasnt much interested in food and was VERY cuddly and mellow (not usual for her). She recovered after a couple days and is back to her bouncy self and they now joke that they miss "sick Oakely".

I'd continue offering her food, maybe prep some basic easy to digest foods for her and just monitor. Make sure she's drinking water, keep an eye on her temp and energy levels, etc. If it persists then call the vet but she may sort herself out.

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts
What about offering her something different? Maybe rice and chicken? Maybe she is starting to come into heat? Or just off?

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about offering her something different? Maybe rice and chicken? Maybe she is starting to come into heat? Or just off?
I did try rice and chicken. And also pumpkin, but to no avail. The chicken necks are the only thing she's at least attempted, and so far she hasn't vomited, so hopefully she keeps them down. If she was older, I wouldn't worry so much, just let her eat when she's hungry, but she's still fairly young and want to make sure she's eating.

I'm hoping she's just coming into heat and it will be out of the way so I can spay her at a year-ish.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I would check the vet. We had a 10 month old, first heat come in because of a pyometra. Doctor didn't even think it could've happened but it did - not to freak you out or anything. At the very lest they can look at her and maybe give some meds for the tummy upset.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would check the vet. We had a 10 month old, first heat come in because of a pyometra. Doctor didn't even think it could've happened but it did - not to freak you out or anything. At the very lest they can look at her and maybe give some meds for the tummy upset.
Ahhhhhh you had me at pyometra, we are heading to the vet tomorrow at 8 am.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Never hurts to get them checked out.

I generally give upset tummies 3 days to settle down. I'll bring my boy to the vet if he's not better by day 3, or if he gets any worse before then, or if I know why his tummy is upset and that it could be something serious. I'll also bring him in sooner if he gets sick on Thursday or Friday since I prefer to not wait and then end up having to bring him in when the vet is closed and play e-vet prices.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Vet thinks they probably have some form of infection, and it is manefesting itself differently in each dog. Heidi is getting diarrhea and Levi is throwing up. He also told me Heidi should be coming into heat between 8-10 months - so it's almost here!
So both dogs are being fasted today (which I always feel terrible about) and tomorrow they are starting on Hills I/D to help firm up stools and help their tummies. They are supposed to stay on it until they can go 7 days without having diarrhea/vomiting. They also are getting a pro-biotic and Heidi is on anti-diarrhea medication.

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts
Oh it sounds like something is reeking havoc in your house! Eh. No good at all. Glad the vet was able to give some insight, hope they feel better soon!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts