Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 21 of 21 Posts
Anyone have suggestions to teach a 90lb puller to heel?

I've tried a head collar but it seems to choke her although I put it on as was instructed.
I've tried a harness but she just pulls even harder.

What can I do? I'm becoming desperate because as Dobermans are, she is extremely full of energy and walking her is a huge hassle.
Ok, so I will start by saying you should never need a specific collar or harness to train a dog to do anything. The dog training mentality of "what can I buy to get my dog to listen" is dumb and counterproductive.
The easiest way to teach heel is simple: use treats to guide your dog into the heel position, no leash on, and treat once he/she is in that position. then turn and repeat. Once he has the heel command down and comes to whatever side you've decided to train heel on, simply add walking. of course do all this inside first, walk with him in heel using a treat to guide him, and reward frequently as he is heeling correctly. Once this is down inside, add the leash and make sure it is good with that as well. If not it shouldn't take much to train with the leash. Only once you have this down should you move outside. Bear in mind he won't have this down outside, you will have to train it out there as well since there are so many distractions and smells, and sounds!
The key here is patience, too many people want their dog to just get it, remember, its a dog, they don't understand, you have to show them.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.