Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I was wondering if anyone on the forum had any experience with hedgehogs? My 12 yr old daughter would love to have one. I've been gathering information and she's writing me a paper on caring for them. It would be great to hear first hand experience too! Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I vaguely remember my older son having one as a pet for a short time when he was young. It was not a good pet, nocturnal, and other than looking sort of unusual, wasn't very interesting to him.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
My sister has one and loves her. I haven't met her (they live in Scotland), but she's named Eloise Cupcake and she seems like a sassy little creature. I could get some more info from my sister. She sent me this picture the other day :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hedgehogs are great pets! I had one when I was little, and I currently have one that I got as a gift almost a year ago. They are very easy to take care of, and generally don't have a lot of health problems as long as they're taken care of properly. They are noctural, however, if they are handled frequently enough they don't mind being messed with during the day. She should definitely be sure that a hedgehog is what she wants, though, and be prepared to spend a lot of time with it, consistantly. Hedgehogs that aren't handled very often are very unfriendly and will puff their spikes out every time you try to touch them. In addition, know that the spikes definitely hurt when they puff out! They very seldom draw blood, but it feels like hundreds of needles poking you at the same time. Eventually you get kind of used to it, honestly, and it doesn't hurt as much.
They don't require a ton of space, and they're perfectly fine being solo, no buddy needed. Carefresh is the best bedding to use, which isn't all that expensive, and they eat high quality cat food, which my 15 lb bag I started with still has a good 5 lbs left! Mealworms and veggies as treats are always good, too.
Overall, really good pets, just be prepared to put in a lot of socializing time, and know that they are not little cuddly pets!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts