Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Working more with him?
Train, train, train, exercise, exercise, exercise?

Looking for a new home?

Who, on Earth, would put down a dog, because one can't handle him?
Most likely this isn't his fault, but the problem is on the other end of the leash.
(Not trying to be mean here).

·
Registered
357 Posts
I can't believe this is real

I may have to put down one friend. He is too mischievous and seems unable to train.
Any ideas?
You're actually serious? What the ****?!?! "He is too mischievous and seems unable to train"...that is NOT a reason to put a dog down. That's ridiculous. And I would hope that any vet you'd go to would tell you the same thing. Why do you even think that? If you can't deal with him, then please for the sake of your dog's life and happiness, contact a rescue to take him in.

I don't know your situation, but having a dog is a big responsibility and a lot of times things don't go according to how you hoped, but that isn't a deal breaker. You adjust and work to fix the problems and if you can't or don't want to then the answer is not putting the dog down. Find a way to help him. Find the right home for him. Where he's happy and SAFE.

He deserves to live and be happy. Honestly, I'm stunned that being "mischievous" and "unable to train" is somehow seen as a reason to end a dog's life. IT'S NOT!

My reaction is strong, with very good reason. But, I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just trying to get it across and accepted that this thinking is absolutely wrong in every way.

I'd agree that a good trainer could do a lot to fix your complaints, but really, any person that thinks these are reasons to put a dog down shouldn't have a dog.

Dog's are AMAZING and they have so much to offer and their life shouldn't be at risk just because they're not meeting some standard that you expect.

His life is literally in your hands. Don't do it! Contact a rescue and let him have the future he deserves.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I’m wondering what issues are making you resort to euthanasia?

If you don’t feel equipped to train your dog and euthanasia is an option you’re genuinely considering, rehome your dog and make sure his issues are disclosed. What area are you in if you don’t mind sharing? I may be able to suggest some good shelters / rescues that can work with your dog.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Reading... considerations like that, I am really glad, that our vets aren't even allowed to put animals down, without good reason (like deadly sickness)!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Dogs don't come magically trained. It requires work... please find the dog a new home (unless he's really aggressive, obviously, and not just playing).

·
Registered
149 Posts
What an appalling thread....please listen to above advice (hoping it’s not too late) and then don’t you ever get another animal. Ever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts