Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am trying to decide if i should put my dog on a heartworm preventative and if so which one. here's the situation. i live at an elevation where the mosquitos that carry heartworm cannot survive, so it is deemed unnecessary to use the preventative treatment. i do take my dog with me when i travel and sometimes i travel to an area where heartworm is a concern. considering all the factors of the medicine, including cost, and possible side effects, of which i know very little, is the risk of hearworm enough to put my dog on the preventative or would it be sufficient to use a good flea/tick/mosquito repellant product, which i plan to use anyway....

does anyone know the riskd of the treatment meds and/or side effects?

i do intend on discussing this with my vet, just sort of looking for other opinions...thanks

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
so i am trying to decide if i should put my dog on a heartworm preventative and if so which one. here's the situation. i live at an elevation where the mosquitos that carry heartworm cannot survive, so it is deemed unnecessary to use the preventative treatment. i do take my dog with me when i travel and sometimes i travel to an area where heartworm is a concern. considering all the factors of the medicine, including cost, and possible side effects, of which i know very little, is the risk of hearworm enough to put my dog on the preventative or would it be sufficient to use a good flea/tick/mosquito repellant product, which i plan to use anyway....

does anyone know the riskd of the treatment meds and/or side effects?

i do intend on discussing this with my vet, just sort of looking for other opinions...thanks
A lot of people criticize for not having your pet on heartworm meds...our vet told us that as long as the dogs are tested we are ok. Granted if they have it, it costs more to treat, however since the purchase of the new home and the luscious green grass we will be having them tested and placed on meds. It is up to the individual and what your vet recommends. I do not think there are any side effects but could be wrong

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
some dogs are sensitive to the drugs in heartworm meds (ivermectin) especially herding breeds .... especially collies for som' reason...other than that bit I think the general consensus is the stuff is pretty safe..

Chili was on ivermectin for quite a while to treat his mange, stuff just tastes odd I hear. :)
Wow I have got the worst memory in the world...now that you said that, I remember my vet telling us that Harvick (lab/border collie) COULD have a rxn due to the collie in him but since he is mix it is less likely. TY for bringing that up! Gotta make sure I tell our net vet his mix and ask her that!

Ivermectin is in the drug? Ugh I have had the worst experience with that crap with my ferrets.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Actually they're not. Or at least not nearly as much as people like to believe. Shelties were bred from small herding dogs in the Shetland Islands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts