Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last spring, we found a dog running around on the street. We tried facebook, Craigslist and local sites but never were able to find the owner. To make him more adoptable, we took him in to the vet in early summer and got him neutered, heartworm tested (was negative) and up to date on his shots. Ever since then, he's been on Sentinel Spectrum with our other dog.

Fast forward to the past couple of weeks - he's still here. We went in to the vet for the yearly checkup, shots, heartworm test, etc. I wanted to get him sync'd up with our other dig so that we could do both in 1 visit. Well, he tested positive for heartworm this time. They retested a few weeks later to confirm the diagnosis.

The treatment seems pretty extensive, including xrays, antibiotic, 2 rounds of shots, two separate oversite stays at the vet for 4 nites each shot series (8 total nights). This is all adding up to almost $2000. I did call another vet and while they really couldn't quote a price without a Dr visit, they said it would be "substantially less".

I'm not exactly sure what to do at this point. Will vets drop the price if you call and ask in a situation like this? Do we start going around to other vets and do office visit/heartworm tests to see about getting better pricing?

Has anyone gone through this treatment? What were your experiences? What were your costs?

Has anyone tried the "natural remedies"?
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/5-natural-heartworm-treatment-alternatives/

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'd go with vet treatment, just because the treatments are natural on that list doesn't mean they are without potential harm or are effective. Wormwood and allium Lilly extract are both poisons in small doses and apricot kernels contain something that breaks down into cyanide in the body. That's not to say it absolutely wouldn't be effective but natural medicines are not regulated so there is no guarantee for effectiveness, content or safety. With medications the risks, content and effectiveness are heavily regulated.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
My parents adopted a dog last August that tested positive for heartworms. It is a very daunting and expensive treatment, for sure. I think they paid somewhere around $1500 to get her treated.

I would go for the vet treatment over anything holistic. Heartworms are scary. You have to restrict movement almost completely or they can break off and your dog can die almost instantly. They are also very difficult to get rid of; Nellie went through the treatment and still had baby heartworms in her system. She had to do a month of doxycycline before they were finally gone (yay!).

I'm sorry you and your pup have to go through this because it is not fun.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Heartworms are nothing to take lightly. Its far easier to prevent than to treat. I would follow your Vets suggestions/instructions, and get the treatment underway as quickly as possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts