Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,

I posted earlier about my dog acting funny due to simple guard 3 a flea/tick med. Well, I also gave her a heartworm med at the same time. THat was my vets prescription, BTW.

After some research, I think her pacing, and rubbing, and then sleeping is side effects of the Heartworm meds. Apparently that's a side effect.

What are thoughts on Heartworm meds?

Obviously, I want to prevent heartworm disease, because that's deadly, but what are some thoughts on these chemical pills vs. holistic ideals?

I really don't like the fact that we're pumping our dogs with chemicals. I mean, I certainly , don't want my dog to die of HW Disease, but it really concerns me to see her not feel good because of these pills. AND- the one holistic site I went to, says that these pills can cause kidney and liver failure.

Am I being paranoid?

And what do some of you do?

Thanks,
Michelle

P.S. Ruby is a 1.5 year old 10 pound terrier mix, and I've only had her for 2 months. This is the first dog I've ever owned under 60 pounds. She's EXTREMELY different from my laid back food drive german shepard mixes.

She's very picky about food. Very sensitive. Not food driven at all. So it's not surprising that the heartworm pill made her act strangely, but I just wondered if anybody else thought this preventive pill was a little "overkill"?

·
Registered
247 Posts
No, it's a necessary medication to prevent a deadly infection.

My dogs have a heartworm-prevention injection once a year. I've never noticed any side effects.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Holistic stuff for heartworm prevention does not work-- I would not mess with it. Especially if you are in a heartworm endemic area. The dose of chemicals in heartworm prevention is minuscule.

Try separating the flea/tick prevention and the heartworm pill next time to see if/what she reacts to. There are many ways to go about preventing each-- she may just be overly sensitive.

Is it possible she licked where you applied the flea/tick prevention?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts