Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new puppy is half Australian Shepherd, and I'm having a hard time finding a preventative medicine that seems safe to give him. It looks like they all can cause horrible adverse reactions even though the companies say the doses are too low to affect those with the MDR1 mutation. I'd love some advice from more experienced dog owners so I can choose something I can feel safe about giving my puppy. My vet gave me a sample of revolution to try but I read some very scary stories online and now I don't know what to trust.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
I think with anything you will find bad stories somewhere.

I have a full aussie, an aussie/border collie cross, and had a full border collie for many years. We never had any adverse reactions to any of the stuff we used. Heartguard, triheart, revolution, trifexis, etcetcetc.. I have had herding breeds for 10 years and have used a lot of the things available on the market. I recently switched our heartworm meds and did confirm with the vet that the dose of Ivermectin is low enough to not effect these dogs. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
If you're worried about the MDR1 mutation, get him tested for it so you know for sure. I too have read and heard that the ivermectin dose in a monthly preventative is too low to cause an issue with an MDR1 positive dog (MDR1 supposedly lowers the threshold for what dose causes toxicity). But at the same time, vets at the clinic where I used to work did actively try to avoid using ivermectin with BC's and aussies all together. We didn't script out HW meds often because it's not an issue in our part of the country, but if a herder needed some for travel or moving, our vets always recommended and prescribed Trifexis.

Anyway, heartworm is no joke. Yes, there are risks to the medication, but that's pretty much the case for any med. If you have concerns, it's probably best to phone the vet or go in and talk to them. Ask to talk to the vet, not just a vet tech. I'm sure your vet would be happy to answer your questions and give you info on what the most common side effects are, what to expect etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts