Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone uses & how you like it. I work at a vet clinic, do usually I just use what the reps give us. My shepherd is currently on Advantage multi, while my pit is on sentinel (I have 1 month left)
The clinic I work at is big on Heartgard, while my previous clinic didn't even carry it because they didn't believe it's full coverage. I just want to hear people's positive and/or negative thoughts on heartgard. Especially dealing with the intestinal parasites. Thank you :)

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'm in Texas and I use Advantage Multi. My vet does not sell Heartgard, and Frontline due to them no longer working in this area.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I use Nexgard for fleas/ticks and Heartgard for heartworms. Heartgard is still the standard in this area. I have been very pleased w Nexgard, it is the only thing I've tried (and I've tried quite a few) that works against our tough fleas and ticks.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I use the pro heart shot, though it is on back order currently. I got mine done right before, so hopefully will be back on when I need it again.

I know lots of people that use heartgard around here, but know a number who have still tested positive while on it. I don't trust it. Even years ago my mom had a poodle that tested positive while on it. I do understand that not everything is 100%, but it does make me very wary of the product around here. I live in an area where having a dog not on prevention is often times basically a death sentence.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all! I love the Nexgard, but really do feel like heartgard isn't up to par. Hearing from you makes me trust my gut instinct to not use it. I love advantage multi, just wish it wasn't topical! Guess I will stick to that & Trifexis though!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hm. Maybe I will ask my vet about something other than Heartgard. Our climate is quite conducive to heartworms. What other options are there for just heartworms?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hm. Maybe I will ask my vet about something other than Heartgard. Our climate is quite conducive to heartworms. What other options are there for just heartworms?
Posted via Mobile Device
Where do you live? Pro heart is just for heartworms, but is on backorder for at least a few months around here. It's hard to find products geared for heartworms and not other parasites such as fleas. That's why I called around to find the shot when our vet ran out. I wanted a product that prevents ticks as well (never had a problem with fleas whether my dogs are on preventatives or not), but most of the heartworm/flea preventions do nothing for ticks. Also didn't want to double up on flea prevention, and my vet doesn't offer anything that fit those needs besides heartgard and pro heart. My vet cautioned against doubling up on parasite prevention, but the vet I saw to get pro heart last time said that it wasn't a big deal. I'll stick to not doubling up ;)

·
Registered
455 Posts
^ I live in Florida. I am very pleased w Nexgard and don't want to change or double up. I will ask my vet about Pro Heart.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
^ I live in Florida. I am very pleased w Nexgard and don't want to change or double up. I will ask my vet about Pro Heart.
Posted via Mobile Device
Back in May or so I was told that it will be on backorder for six months, so it's probably not available at the moment. Still, ask your vet about it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
We like trifexis.

Axel is a mini aussi so he could have severe medical issues with anything that has ivermectin in it. Which knocks out Heartgard, Heartgard Plus, Iverhart, Merial and Verbac.

Topical treatments do not work against fleas here.

And I like that trifexis is good against intestinal worms as well.

Trifexis doesn't do anything for ticks but we just check him really good anytime he's been somewhere he has a more than normal risk for picking up ticks (our vet also said that ticks aren't really an issue up here in the Seattle area)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts