Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, dogforum community.

My username's Amita in dedication for my beloved fluff ball, Amy.

I recently said my farewells and I am having a hard time processing. I figured this would be the best place to grieve and remember her by.

She was diagnosed with cancer and it has been an extremely rough time but I know she is at peace and without pain. Makes me feel somewhat content, sort-of numbing. Feelings of heart-break are creeping in; I lost my best friend.

But I think talking (typing) about it can help ease my emotions and my heart.

Additionally, I have an extensive amount of information for new dog owners and old ones that are going through a hard time. My experiences may be helpful so I think creating an account and sharing what I know might be of use to some. (Honestly, I want to connect to a place and hope I am welcomed.)

I've had her 14 long years and I am happy she was a part of my life.

Hope to get to know more of you soon,

--Amita

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you for joining us. Laurel is my first dog in almost 40 years so I can be a bit verbose, but I certainly do appreciate you choosing to share all of your experience and advice and she will even more.

This https://www.news.iastate.edu/news/2019/03/27/happiness is the science behind why it helps us to help others.

Was Amy little? Laurel is a lot littler than I expected. I thought she was going to be over ten pounds but well under 20 and she's only 6.

I think she's got some terrier in her and I hope she has some Chi as well but she isn't DNA tested yet.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hello Amita and welcome! :huddle:

So sorry you have lost your best friend! I can tell you from experience that it will get better, the pain in your heart will change. It will become less raw, and you will be able to look at the good memories of your dog without the devastation you are feeling now.

14 years is a beautiful long time, what a great life you guys must have shared! When my children were small we picked up an energetic mixed pup from the local shelter. We were super lucky to have had her also for 14 joyous years. She was like one of the kids and grew into a calm and pleasant senior! I think she taught me more than any of the other dogs we owned!

It is wonderful that you signed up to help others who need advice or a sounding board to be better dog-moms or -dads! We all benefit from each other!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Welcome Amita,

I do hope that we can somehow help by giving you a place to talk about your beloved Amy. I also lost my dog to cancer. It's been 3 years now, and I miss him probably just as much today as the day he passed. Maybe more, because at the time I felt I had to be strong for my son. I wish I could get him back, like the dog in "A Dog's Journey". If you haven't seen it you should watch the trailer.

When he passed I swore that I'd never be able to get another dog because losing one is so devastating. Too much to go through again. Almost exactly two years later a family member adopted a puppy and I watched her while they were at work. She grew very attached to me and didn't want to leave my side. When he drove off in the car with her she didn't want to go and she'd look out the window in panic like she was being kidnapped. Because she was so attached the owner decided I should have her. I kind of feel like she was sent to me. I don't know if I ever would have got another dog on my own.

You should post some pictures of Amy. I'd like to see her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts